Three Counties

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Three Counties

Post by Mickey »

Three Counties station & signal box was situated on the fast 4-track section of the GNR/LNER main line north of Hitchin approximately 35 miles from Kings Cross. After the station was closed in early 1959 and all trace of the station buildings & platforms were removed only the signal box remained alone for a number of years before finally closing around 1976.

Three Counties station link below-

http://arcangelolombari.wordpress.com/2 ... es-station

Mickey
sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Three Counties

Post by sandwhich »

Good pictures of the long closed Three Counties Station, one of many that closed along the East Coast Main Line in 1959/60, as regard Arlsey, it was a bottleneck until resignalling and the level crossing was replaced with a new flyover
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

At least one nameboard survives for sure <G> Two signals have also. One outlet signal from the brickworks is now visible from the High Street half way down the village. TC19 is stored awaiting erection at the Arlesey Light Railway. I may have a telegraph instrument also.

Edit to add.. Two box diagrams and a late on set of circuit diagrams survive too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32297024@N08/35817384915/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32297024@N08/35817355635/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I have had in my possession for the last 47 years a complete S&T track diagram of Three Counties box showing all signals & points controlled by the box and dated October 1959. I believe the diagram was drawn up regarding some S&T alterations that took place at the box in 1959 I will try and post it later in the coming week.

The above S&T track diagram was amongst many other S&T track diagrams that were found in a old office in Kings Cross station back in 1970 that also included a number of other boxes such as Hornsey Up Goods, Abbots Ripton, Connington North & Corby Glen as well as several other boxes along the GN/LNER main line.

Mickey
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I have occasional contact with a long-retired chap called Rex Palmer, apparently a former Three Counties signalman.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:04 pm I have occasional contact with a long-retired chap called Rex Palmer, apparently a former Three Counties signalman.
I have a few ex Three Counties and Arlesey signalmen 'on the books' would he like to come for a play? I can put what i have on display and hopefully have a round up of a few former colleagues..
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'll try to remember to ask him, if and when our paths next cross.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.