DEPARTMENTAL COACH - FINSBURY PARK NO.2 TELEGRAPH GANG 1968

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

HOOK CONTINENTAL
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by HOOK CONTINENTAL »

I wonder if anyone can help me with a query regarding the above coach.

In the summer of 1968 I trained with Finsbury Park No. 2 Telegraph Gang for a few months and when working some distances away from "the Park" we had use of what I remember as a Gresley corridor/compartment brake coach which had not been converted as such in any way but was marked as being in departmental stock. We used the coach for tools/materials storage, brewing tea on a large primus in the brake van section and the compartments for eating our lunchtime sandwiches and a well earned rest.

The coach was transferred to locations where we were working for a reasonable period - such as New Barnet, Welwyn North, Huntingdon and finally New Southgate. It was finally for me as at New Southgate the bearings were stolen from the axle boxes and the coach could not be moved to our next location. Hopefully it was repaired after I left the gang.

I would like to identify the exact type of coach that was used by the gang, its stock number, diagram number and any other information/photographs that are available. I have a copy of Michael Harris's "LNER Carriages" but have been unable to identify for certain which coach type it was. Any pointers as to sources of information would be much appreciated.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I'm sorry i can't help with that question but i will, if i may, add to the problem by asking if anyone knows what coach or coaches were used for the Mobile Signalling School, LNER.(Southern Area). There are two rather nice pictures in a book RAILWAY SIGNALLING and COMMUNICATIONS Installaltion and Maintenance, my copy being dated as 1946. The pictures show the interior of a coach containing, amonst many other things, at least two ground frames, a four lever full size locking frame, a set of facing switches, tablet machines, block instruments, relay cabinets, and a banner repeater. I would like to model this mobile school in some form most probably in 4mm but if someone has a spare empty LNER coach they'd like to give me i could do it in 12 inch to the foot......
greenwood
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Telegraph gangs coachs

Post by greenwood »

Hi, I too remember those work carriages, one was blue and the other grey about 1974 when I joined the S&T at Finsbury Park. I think some where I may have the departmental numbers. Seem to recall being in one at Drayton Park when we were doing some work there and also at Wood Green. One from what I recall had a fitted out area that was full of stuff like cranks and compensators.
Cheers an old Trainee Technician (Andy Mcshay trained!)
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Sorry I can't help with this subject but out of interest there is, in the thread titled 'pictorial website', currently below this one, about midway through, a shot of a B1 with just the glimpse of one end of a 'tool' coach. The colour of this one is a reddish brown and the photo was taken at Wakefield Kirkgate, well out of the Southern Area. Here's the link;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbil ... 696486994/
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Trying to find out some details.
Found this coach 70489 / departmental number 975395
last sighted at Hitchin 27/4/76 and scrapped at Snailwell 6/79

You can go to this site and type in lner coach in search

http://www.departmentals.com/search.php
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Sorry I can't help with this subject but out of interest there is, in the thread titled 'pictorial website', currently below this one, about midway through, a shot of a B1 with just the glimpse of one end of a 'tool' coach. The colour of this one is a reddish brown and the photo was taken at Wakefield Kirkgate, well out of the Southern Area. Here's the link;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbil ... 55/in/set-
72157603696486994/

In reply to this comment. The caption mentions that the coach is part of the breakdown train, that may narrow things down somewhat.
One coach that can probably be eliminated from the result is the mess coach owned by the York area group on the NYMR. As this was used by the P Way mainly in the North East being based at Blaydon and Tyne Dock.