Badge research help

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jon_D
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Badge research help

Post by Jon_D »

I cannot seem to find any information on where this badge came from other than the L.N.E.R. Ipswitch engraved on the badge it's self as well as the number 134. if someone could point me in the right direction of my research that would be much appreciated. :D
Attachments
LNER IPSWICH BADGE
LNER IPSWICH BADGE
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Badge research help

Post by 52D »

possibly a wages tally.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Jon_D
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Jon_D »

52D wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:13 pm possibly a wages tally.
Now that I know that it was a wage tally. Is there a way that I could find who the previous owner was? Is there an accessible database for these kind of things?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I'm just sitting in a pub with a retired driver and he says that when you started your service you started with a large number paycheck (about 1015 in his case) and ended your service with a small number (4 for him). On leaving the service your number passed to someone else so it would be difficult to find out for sure who owned it.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

PinzaC55 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:22 pm I'm just sitting in a pub with a retired driver and he says that when you started your service you started with a large number paycheck (about 1015 in his case) and ended your service with a small number (4 for him). On leaving the service your number passed to someone else so it would be difficult to find out for sure who owned it.
Thanks for that Pinza
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

You're welcome, I never knew it either ! I've never really collected paychecks but I used to have one from Thirsk which obviously only had a very small allocation of engines and staff so it was something like "Thirsk 15". The driver I was talking to was ex York so well over a thousand staff.
Jon_D
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Jon_D »

52D wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:13 pm possibly a wages tally.
Thank you so much for the replies!
PinzaC55 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:22 pm I'm just sitting in a pub with a retired driver and he says that when you started your service you started with a large number paycheck (about 1015 in his case) and ended your service with a small number (4 for him). On leaving the service your number passed to someone else so it would be difficult to find out for sure who owned it.
I had a feeling they somehow reused the numbers. Seems like a very complicated way to deal with your checks. Haha. Well I found this badge in the United states. I am in Washington state near the border to Canada. If I am not mistaken I am on the other side of the world away from the LNER base of operations. Are checks like these easy to come by? Do they hold any value? If so what kind? Is this the kind of item someone would hold onto in a personal "memorabilia" way? Would someone carry this in a wallet?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Paychecks are very common but yours is a nice example. Large shed such as York and Neville Hill (Leeds) had a huge number of staff and my guess would be that when the use of paychecks was discontinued they were simply allowed to keep them. As I mentioned with the Thirsk example I owned some are rarer than others so for example one from Stanhope or Wearhead shed would be extremely rare since they only had a handful of staff.
You can also get Paycheck Tins which are cylindrical tins similar to detonator tins and they are often stamped with the company initials. I would say your check may be worth £10 in a railwayana auction, more on Ebay.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I also have a wages token, but mine is from 'Shoeburyness'

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.