Ely North Junction photographs?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nimbus
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Ely North Junction photographs?

Post by Nimbus »

I'm looking for general photographs of Ely North Junction, both before and after the signalbox was relocated there in the 1920s in connection with the building of Ely Sugar Beet Factory. Prior to this being built, a public footpath crossed all lines at this point and led across to a farm by the river. The crossing was then cut back to the 'island' of land, with the new signal box at the prow. Another path headed down to this crossing from the main road through Queen Adelaide, serving several railway cottages near the signal box. Later again, possibly around 1970, the crossing was shunted along the Peterborough line by a few hundred yards. This is now one of 130 footpath and occupation crossings in East Anglia presently under threat of closure, prior to a much wider national scheme of closures. A full public inquiry is being held later this year and is expected to run for twenty days.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Ely North Junction photographs?

Post by 52D »

I used the road from ELY via Queen Adelaide as a shortcut across the Fens to Thetford when i was working down that way.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Ely North Junction photographs?

Post by R. pike »