Info needed for new layout- Immingham. photos, etc. WHY?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Info needed for new layout- Immingham. photos, etc. WHY?

Post by wehf100 »

I am looking at a small (i.e- 4ft by 6-8'') layout to play trains on, utilising some old N-gauge stock I have had knocking around since I was a kid and I bought some stock to go with dad's N-gauge layout. This consists of the old ABS LNER J63 Dock engine, Langley L1, a Manning-Wardle, and a load of p/o wagons.

Immingham sounds like a good proposition for a 'laptop' shunting plank, cos (and i didnt even know until i dug around this website a bit), by 1923, the J63s, L1s and even M-Wardles, not to mention the only other readily available GCR engine- the ROD 2-8-0's, ALL worked at Immingham Docks!!!

I have some postcards, and a couple of internet sourced pics, but there isnt much detail. Unfortunately the docks very strictly not for public access.

Any pics people have, leads thereto, drawings etc, particularly of the Dock Offices and coaling piers, or general views pre-WWII would be greatly received. All costs would be reimbursed of course, or maybe you have some loco pictures on your hard drive with something interesting in the background??

Many thanks

Will
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

This is for N?

There are some more GCR engines available:

Union Mills recently produced a ready-to-run J11. He may still have stocks or be planning a future re-release.
GEM did produce a D11 'Improved Director'. I recently sold mine. (this is probably about as available as your Manning Wardle - eg. on EBay if you're lucky / prepared to wait).

I wasn't aware of the J63 in N.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
wehf100

Post by wehf100 »

yeah- the ABS J63 kit is quite a nice body. It fits the Mintrix dock tank chassis with loads of mods. I am looking at the possibility of other more modern units- even a BR 04 might do wuite well if you can make the cylinders/motion from scratch.

I believe it is sold by ABS currently as a 'Beaver Models' kit. it's a bit pricey nowadays, when I was 14 I paid about 8 quid for it I think!

The Director is an awful kit a i recall from pics I have seen. The j11 isnt in current stock i'm afraid, or I'd have one. Maybe not though, cos that's even pricier than building a kit. I just have a strange suspicion that if I could disguise it's origins, a Farish 4F could be converted for 20 quid all in!

The whole point of this project is to have something to run day-to-day and use up a bit of exsting redundant stock i have collected over the years.

While we're at it, Worsley Works does etchings only for Atlantic 'Jersey Lillies' , and 2-4-2 tank, albeit in 2mm finescale.

I may post some pics of the j63 if it wold interest anyone

Will
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Don't forget the Tramway either.
The Grimsby and Immingham light railway.
1 tramcar still exists. as does part of the route.
wehf100

Post by wehf100 »

Bryan wrote:Don't forget the Tramway either.
The Grimsby and Immingham light railway.
1 tramcar still exists. as does part of the route.
Yes, It's at Crich, but I have never got round to going to see it. The tracks in the street at Grimsby were simply tarmacced over, so technically quite a bit more of the route is still there!

The sort of info I am requiring for this project to go forward (especially as I now know a J63 can be powered by a Bachmann US= 0-6-0 chassis easily) is some detail of the original 1910's trackplan, and info on the construction of the coaling towers.

Will
badwolf
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Immingham

Post by badwolf »

I think the track at Immingham was still basically the same as original up until about 1990 when I left, Immingham Reception box was re-signalled before then, East Junction box controlled the light railway the docks and loco yard but locos could also be sent through the yard from Reception to the loco thereby not using Immingham East to get onto the shed.
The single line over the light railway to Pywipe Road ( Grimsby ) was worked by electric token, latterly there was added a private siding on the light railway at the Immingham end worked from a small switch panel at Immingham East Junction.
Also at east Junc. there was a double track into Fisons fertiliser plant , this became Norsk Hydro when taken over.
soupdragon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by soupdragon »

AJ Ludlam's excellent book 'Railways to New Holland and the Humber Ferries' (Oakwood Press ISBN 0-85361-494-6) has a complete chapter on the Port of Immingham, some fine pics of B1's and 9F's at Immingham shed, aerial photos of the docks and a track plan of the whole complex.

There were 7 coal hoists, 6 fixed and 1, the easternmost, movable. Within the dock area was 170 miles of railway, 14 reception sidings capable of holding 1,120 wagons. Into these ran the trains from the collieries, if the consignment couldn't be dealt with immediately the wagons were placed in storage sidings capable of holding 8,000 vehicles. There were also 25 sidings for empty wagons, holding 2,000 as well as 14 lines on which the trains were marshalled or made up, these held 1,120 wagons. Altogether there was accommodation for 100,000 tons of coal. The 7 coal hoists could handle 30,000 tons per day.
The 6 fixed coal hoists were supplied by Sir WG Armstrong, Whitworth and Co, the movable hoist by Messrs Tannett, Walker and Co. The hoists operated and the cradles were tipped by hydraulic power
Immingham shed was capable of dealing with 60 locomotives.
Three goods sheds were built, also a granary with elevator, automatic weighing machines, and a bonded warehouse. The General Offices were situated next to the entrance lock

It sounds like it was a hive of industry in its heyday
wehf100

Post by wehf100 »

shameful bump.-

NE Lincolnshire archives has a wonderful file of photographs and clippings from the early 1920s.

The coal Hoists were described in 'The Engineer' Journal in 1910 (held at NRM)

The details of the resident ship repair company, 'Humber Dry Dock Co' is also at NE Lincs archives,

All I need info on now is info on the 'boring' aspect of the place, namely info (drawings would be nice!) on the big hydraulic cranes and the transit sheds that served them.

Anyone have any further information they may be willing to offer re this last point (or any others!)??

regards,

Will