Goswick crashes

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Goswick crashes

Post by 52D »

I am quite familiar with crashes in and around the Goswick area and have built up quite a collection of pictures and reports however one accident that has so far eluded all attempts to ascertain the identity of the loco involved even though i have some pics, accident reports and newspaper accounts. The crash is the derailment of the up Scotsman sometime in 1924. I know the loco involved was an NER Atlantic but i dont know the class or number.
The accident was caused by the loco hitting a herd of cows that had strayed on to the ECML as usual all help appreciated.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Goswick crashes

Post by 52A »

v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by v3man »

This was reported in the Times of 7th March 1922 which, hopefully, I've managed to attach.
Attachments
Goswick Accident 6.3.1922.JPG
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Not seen Times report before, i know it was an Atlantic but which one?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

From pure memory only the later Goswick crash came about through a combination of circumstances.

1.Loco crew tiredness?.
2.Unread 'late notices' by the loco crew at the signing on point detailing the engineering work at Goswick and the diversion from fast to slow lines.
3.Sunday diversion at Goswick due to engineering work.
4.Smoke blowing along the boiler of the loco a Gresley A3 obscuring the view ahead.
5.Possible distraction of a unauthorised visitor on the footplate a loco mad naval rating.
6.Possible signalman's error in clearing the outer home signal to soon before bringing the train 'nearly' to a stand although the signalman only had a 'head on' view of the approaching train so he wasn't able to judge the train's approaching speed properly?.

Mickey
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

That was the 47 crash Micky when the veteran of Cramlington, Merry Hampton derailed. if you are interested the report is in the R\ailway Archive site.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

52D wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:23 pm That was the 47 crash Micky when the veteran of Cramlington, Merry Hampton derailed. if you are interested the report is in the R\ailway Archive site.
Thanks 52D although I already read about the 1947 Goswick accident when I first read about it in a book along with about 20 other railway accidents although it wasn't in Red for Danger that I read about it but in a book called British Railway Accidents of the Twentieth Century by J.A.Hamilton back in 1967 when the book was first published (I still have the book in my possession) and as railway accidents go it's a fairly interesting accident which from memory mainly went down to driver's error as previously posted by myself above.

Mickey