NER fares

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Capybara
NER Y7 0-4-0T

NER fares

Post by Capybara »

Good morning. I've looked at this board over the years but this is my first contribution. Does anyone know where I can find information on old fares? In particular I'm interested in the cost of a third class single from Hartlepool to Sunderland in 1919 or thereabouts. I've done a very quick search on this website and can't find anything. I'd be really grateful for any help. Thanks.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER fares

Post by strang steel »

You may have to resort to browsing ticket auction and ticket dealer websites, and just hope that occasionally one comes for the Sunderland area for that period.

I know that it is not much help, but it might be successful.

I found this on Ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Railway-T ... SwfxJZ6PVm

Newcastle to Sunderland third class return was 1s 8d.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Capybara
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Capybara »

Thanks. That is helpful in that it confirms what I was trying to do and that there's unlikely to be anywhere online that will give me precisely what I'm after. I found a Sunderland to Durham third class single at 1s 3d. (West) Hartlepool is a bit further so I estimated around 1s 6d. Someone said that the mileage from Sunderland to Durham was 15 miles which indicates 1d per mile. Hartlepool to Sunderland is 18 miles, so I think 1s 6d is probably about right. I also saw a Middlesbrough to Stockton third class single at fivepence halfpenny. The mileage is 5.5 miles which seems to confirm 1d per mile. In the absence of absolute confirmation this is probably sufficient for what is needed. Thanks.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Was that fare to Durham ECML station or Durham Elvet ?
*Edit I just remembered I used to have a set of locally produced pocket diaries from Sunderland for about 1890 and they had local train timetables and fares in them. If you could find something that it would be a useful source.
Capybara
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Capybara »

The ticket just said Durham.

The Darlington railway museum has been able to help. The fare from West Hartlepool to Ryhope (Sunderland is what I was asked) was one shilling and sixpence halfpenny.

Thanks for your help.
Dixie
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Dixie »

Until the end of 1916, third class rail travel was generally charged at 1d per mile. However with the resources of the country becoming increasingly stretched, the Government was anxious to discourage rail travel. They issued an Order in Council , to be effected on the 1st January 1917, whereby all ordinary fares were increased by 50%. This was considered to be a temporary measure. Furthermore there was another rise in fares in 1920, this time of sixteen and two thirds percent. The new fares remained in force until 31st December 1922, when they were reduced to those applying in 1917.
Clearly and rather than reprint all tickets to show the new fares, the unissued tickets in the booking office were manually altered to show the new price. As and when new tickets supplies were ordered on the North Eastern Railway, the new fare was printed, firstly adding the legend 'Revised Fare' - for the 1917 rise, and then 'Actual Fare' following the 1920 rise.
It is important therefore to identify the date when the ticket was issued rather than rely on the fare indicated on the ticket.
Applying this to the trip from Hartlepool to Sunderland, the fare would have been about 1/6, increasing to 2/3, then to about 2/8 before falling back to 2/3. I hope all this helps.
Capybara
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Capybara »

Yes it does help, but also complicates matters. The fares book extract we have is from 1917 according to the museum, but shows the 'old' fare. But this is all very interesting stuff so thanks a lot.