The Mildenhall Branch, going, going...

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nimbus
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

The Mildenhall Branch, going, going...

Post by Nimbus »

As I write this, the last sections of track have been lifted from the former stump of Mildenhall branch from Barnwell Oil Sidings to over the brook culvert, in readiness for the new Chisholm Way cycle track to be constructed on the trackbed. The collapse of Carilllion has disrupted the wider construction of the Way, as they were involved with the new bridge that was/is to cross the Cam next to the existing Chesterton railway bridge. In a nice gesture to 'industrial chique' the rail tanker filling infrastructure is being left in situ on the former sidings site, to decay and become pleasingly overgrown. ( There is a wonderful marshalling yard in Germany that has been allowed to slowly become overgrown and returned to nature. Visitors cross raised walkways and mount high quality viewing towers to enjoy the slow decay. )
Nimbus
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: The Mildenhall Branch, going, going...

Post by Nimbus »

I was wondering who had taken the track! Now I know. The new cycle-way will be called The Chisholm Way. There is supposed to be some sort of junction where the cycle track crosses Ditton Meadows from a new river bridge ( alongside the railway one ) and uses the old branch railway culvert over Coldham's Brook, then on to a new tunnel beneath Newmarket Road ( supposedly building Spring 2019 ). A 'branch' will run partly along the old branch - and partly alongside it - to connect up with existing cycle paths. Parts of this long-disused part of the rubbish-strewn and overgrown trackbed will seemingly not be used for this cycle-route as they are now deemed to be 'nature reserves' by the local Council. . . Great for Plastic Bag spotters!