'Zero points' for railway mileage?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nimbus
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

'Zero points' for railway mileage?

Post by Nimbus »

Can anybody tell me where the exact 'zero points' are at Liverpool Street, and at King's Cross, for route mileage measurements to be taken from? Are they marked in any way?
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: 'Zero points' for railway mileage?

Post by john coffin »

Best evidence for KX is that it would have been at the buffers of the main departure platform. Whilst at some time, the platforms
at Kings Cross were staggered a little, they have mainly been moved in line during the last rebuilding of KX, although platform 0 is,
having been added in place of the old taxi rank, starts some way along side platform 1

It is likely that Liverpool Street has the same thing, although, where I do not know.
As for the NER, maybe there is a point in York Station?

Paul
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Nimbus wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:14 pm Can anybody tell me where the exact 'zero points' are at Liverpool Street, and at King's Cross, for route mileage measurements to be taken from? Are they marked in any way?
If it is the buffer stops then the old Liverpool Street had different lines of them for the East Side (Shenfield, Southend & Colchester/Clacton), the West Side (Enfield, Chingford & Cambridge/King's Lynn) and the longer platforms 9 and 10 (Continental, Norwich/Cromer and East Suffolk) which extended the furthest into the station to under the hotel. Platform 1 was originally connected to the Metropolitan Line and, although closed not long after construction, the tunnel contained staff facilities until the rebuild. Today it is very straightforward; all buffer stops are in a neat row.

York station had the zero milepost for several companies, I recall talk of a replica being provided but someone more familiar will need to confirm that.
Zero Milepost at York.jpg
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

I am of course less sure about Liverpool Street than KX, which is more from my area of knowledge.

Initially it is clear that the GE would have run from its earlier terminus, ie not Liverpool Street, so there would have been some
adaption as it was built. I would think that there might not have been only one zero point, but rather one for the main line,
and one for the suburban. Which would then have made whether or not the platforms were staggered, irrelevant.

It therefore might be that at KX, the suburban platforms 11 upwards also had a zero point at the buffers on one of those
platforms too.

Paul
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

In the 1988 Quail Maps/Track Diagrams the zero point at Liverpool Street appears to be the ticket barriers rather than the buffer stops, but could be a drafting error. The zero point for King's Cross is the buffer stops to platforms 1-8 (in 1988). The zero reset at York appears to be across the line of buffer stops to the London side bay platforms, both Down and Up.