comments wanted

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

comments wanted

Post by 52D »

One of my rail enthusiast friends is also a keen sea going skiff rower and has had one of the traditional Northumbrian Coble painters ask about a painting hes done. He wants to be acurate so he has been asking my friend about colours, lining and coach colours. I am willing to pass on comments to him. For information the train has just left Alnmouth on the up, estuary of the River Aln and Alnmouth in the background,
a41.jpg
a42.jpg
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: comments wanted

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Is that a painted copy of a preservation era picture, so a BR mk1 in BR(WR) colours? If that's what it is meant to be then it's 'accurate' allowing for the restrictions imposed by the uncontrolled colour reproduction stages of the electronic process which prevent proper evaluation, in my opinion.

He's got the exhaust really well, with the condensate only beginning to show about 20 feet back from the chimney.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

the guy painted it from a photograph and vagueley remembered the colours from life i thought maybe hes got a picture of the up Queen of Scots.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

It's hard to be sure from the photo of the painting but it looks to me like Mallard is 'wrong line'.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I had noticed that Pyewipe, at that point there are actually four tracks from Alnmouth to Woden gates.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

From the pictures, in there small state, I like them, and would be happy to have that type of picture on my wall, there is only two minor flaws, that jar, the front cab window looks a bit large, and makes the sloping firebox look odd, the other, is the front buffers and the bottom of the sloping smokebox, should have been 'tucked' in a bit.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.