Appalling lack of line side maintenance

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: Appalling lack of line side maintenance

Post by Mickey »

Yes your right harvester those old steam locos and even the first generation diesels which were also quite heavy had there uses in keeping the line side and on track vegetation away.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents.

I can remember in the early 70's around Palmers Green station, in the cuttings trees were growing rapidly, the phrase,' leaves on the line' was starting to be used.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Nimbus
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Nimbus »

Horsetail was deep into the running lines north of Ely last year. This isn't one of the 'notifiable' species, but is included with them in the official NR guide to weeding as being a menace. ( It is usually a sign of waterlogging ). After complaint, my local level-crossing was recently re-decked with yellow sandpaper matting, and the bushes nearby cut back, leaving the cuttings by the lineside. NR has officially costed a single visit to cut back vegetation at a crossing as being over £3000 a time, including three operatives. I personally witnessed a visit to cut back vegetation at another UW crossing a year or so ago. Two Transit vans and crews managed to take three hours to spend half an hour actually cutting! Ahhhh - it was just like BR days..!
Marx
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Marx »

Hi all,

I believe that the Government should force the private companies to clean up the trackside *...it’s a terrible view for visitors coming and going from Kings Cross...Also, the mindless graffiti ......the morons spraying everywhere obviously have ease of access to the tracks..?....so,obviously little or no security ....or any chance of being caught!,,

* Though little chance of that with Failing Grayling.....