Sand-Drags (NER/LNER)

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Sand-Drags (NER/LNER)

Post by drmditch »

G Whittle's ' The Railways of Consett and North-West Durham' on page 84 in relation to the Lanchester Valley Branch makes the following statement:-

'In 1929 the railway authorities suddenly became aware of the fact that there were no safety points for 1.5 miles on the 1 in 80 section between Knitsley and Lanchester to derail runaways. A pair of safety points and sand-drag were therefore installed 370yd north of Lanchester station, worked from the station signal box (cost £409).'

I have the books published by NERA covering NER standards, but I cannot find reference to any sand-drags.Also, I have not seen any pictures of such features in NER or LNER times.

My new railway could have a place for at least one of these, being based on County Durham lines with tight curves and steep gradients.

There is the one currently at Goathland, but that is, presumably a preservation era installation, since the original line here was double track.
DSCN0633 - Copy.JPG
I would be grateful if anyone could direct me to a source of information.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Sand-Drags (NER/LNER)

Post by third-rail »

There used to be one between West monkseaton and monkseaton stations ,I assume it was to protect the avenue branch,it was removed when the metro was built.