Tiled maps of the NER

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Tiled maps of the NER

Post by PinzaC55 »

Just thought I'd mention that I have just got the catalogue for Cundall's Malton Railwayana Auction for next Saturday (2nd July) and Lot 680 is "An original NER tiled map section from the NER map recovered from Tyne Dock Station after demolition".
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

PinzaC55 wrote:Just thought I'd mention that I have just got the catalogue for Cundall's Malton Railwayana Auction for next Saturday (2nd July) and Lot 680 is "An original NER tiled map section from the NER map recovered from Tyne Dock Station after demolition".
Interesting, it has been reported by several different sources that the Tyne Dock map was destroyed in an arson attack around about 1970.
If it is the original the records will have to be changed.
It will be interesting to see what provenance it has, and if it is original it will also be interesting to see what it makes.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

60041 wrote:
PinzaC55 wrote:Just thought I'd mention that I have just got the catalogue for Cundall's Malton Railwayana Auction for next Saturday (2nd July) and Lot 680 is "An original NER tiled map section from the NER map recovered from Tyne Dock Station after demolition".
Interesting, it has been reported by several different sources that the Tyne Dock map was destroyed in an arson attack around about 1970.
If it is the original the records will have to be changed.
It will be interesting to see what provenance it has, and if it is original it will also be interesting to see what it makes.
I think I mentioned earlier that I heard the Tyne Dock map had been saved? If you think about it, it would need to be a hell of a fire to completely destroy tiles which by their nature are fired at high temperatures.
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi

Interesting to me because, as a kid, I used Tyne Dock quite often. I don't ever recall seeing a map there. :o
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

It may have been covered up? I sold a couple of photo's on ebay recently of the map at Normanton and the photographer said on the back of the photo's (C. 1973) that it had been "uncovered recently".
grinkle
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by grinkle »

"section" of the map. Implies it's not the complete thing. Any details? What estimate?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I presume it's one tile. Cundalls never give estimates in their catalogue or indeed much detail so its anybodies guess. I'll be going to the auction so I'll have a butcher's and take a photo. The price will probably be determined by which area it covers - obviously somewhere like York or Newcastle might be worth quite a bit.
grinkle
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by grinkle »

Any update, please?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Here's the tile, which is from the Blackburn area of the map. Sadly I missed the price but I may give them a bell tomorrow to find out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/5 ... otostream/
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Is it an NER tilemap then? Or an L+Y one?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

It's the Preston tile from an NER map. I checked the York one on my way home.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks for keeping us up to date Pinza.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
grinkle
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by grinkle »

Thanks indeed. Not sure that one would be very high on anyone's 'must have' list, being from the less-interesting Lancs. side of the map.

Which tile would fellow-contributors most want? For me, it would be the one showing the Esk Valley route and, if I was being very greedy, those due East (Whitby) and then North (Guisborough/Redcar) of that one.

Of course, we can all possess a tiled version for a mere (I mean it, I think it's terrific value) £350. Or £3000 for the Euromillions winner among us!

http://www.northeasterntilecompany.co.u ... fault.aspx
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

That's a tough question! For me it would be either the Newcastle and Sunderland tile or the one for the Malton & Driffield.

As for the desirability of the tile sold at Malton, it may not be so desirable if you are from the North East but the point is that it is a GENUINE railway artefact from a KNOWN station - two things that collectors usually want. As beautiful as the "new" tile maps are, they are only reproductions.
Put it another way. A few years ago I bought an LNER framed and glazed waiting room print (WRP) of Kirkham Abbey at an antique fair for like £22. Like most of them it had an "LNER GLASS" label on the back and the name of the station. I put it in Malton and made about £130 which is pretty much top dollar for a WRP. Now if it had been a BR poster of Kirkham Abbey or a Cuneo poster I would have got several hundred pounds.
But the point is that railway posters of any type have NOT been used. No passenger has ever looked at them and thought "Hmm I'd like to go there" as they might have done with the NER tile a hundred years ago.That's the difference, to me at least. I'd rather have a really tatty poster still clinging to it's original board than a one which has been rolled up in an attic for 50 years.
BTW the interesting thing about the Tyne Dock tile is that if one survived, how many others did? It was about half an inch thick and not at all fragile.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

PinzaC55 wrote:BTW the interesting thing about the Tyne Dock tile is that if one survived, how many others did? It was about half an inch thick and not at all fragile.
After this came up a couple of weeks ago, I did a search on the internet and found a posting on the NERA site that said that 3 tiles had survived the fire.