Tiled maps of the NER

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

J36
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Tiled maps of the NER

Post by J36 »

here is a picture I took of the Darlington Tile Map in 1979... sad to think it has gone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7434592@N08/2932236914/

regards
Andy
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

Be in good condition too, but it all depends on it's location to the light, as before, the York one is faded, but the NRM/Kings Cross one is in mint condition.
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
Eden Blyth
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Eden Blyth »

J36 wrote:here is a picture I took of the Darlington Tile Map in 1979... sad to think it has gone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7434592@N08/2932236914/

regards
Andy
I've discovered your most interesting forum. You are obviously aware, from the postings on it, that I have commisioned Craven Dunnill to make a series of new NER Tile Maps, in various sizes. See the seperate thread under Classifieds.
I am trying to gather a photographic record of the lost maps together. Is there any chance of a copy of your Darlington photo, please Andy? If anyone has any photos of Alnmouth, Bridlington, Darlington, Durham, Hexham, Goole, Hull Paragon, Leeds City South, Malton, Newcastle Central, Normanton, Selby and Tyne Dock, I'd be most grateful if you would get in touch I suppose one of the 'Cross map in situ would be too much to ask for, though .......! I will gladly pay copying, postage, etc. costs, and will not publish without your permission.
Eden
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Tiled maps or the NER

Post by silver fox »

Bullhead wrote:
Aren't the NYMR talking of having a replica ceramic network map made for Pickering, with "sponsor a tile" funding?
Took this picture the other week
Attachments
DSCF4240-2.jpg
By Mark t
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Can anyone say with authority that there was a tiled map at Marylebone station pre grouping as Malcolm has posted a pic showing a tiled map purporting to be GCR at Marylebone. Speaking from a personal perspective I know that NER tiled maps were displayed at other locations than the NER eg Kings Cross. The claim for Marylebone ive never heard of before so readers can anyone confirm or deny.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

OK guys i propose to list the Tiled maps and if they are extant or not please send any information you have on them also the ones that are lost can we have thier fates and where on the stations the maps were originally located.

Location;

Alnwick - Originally no map fitted but now has replica in Barter Books buffet
Alnmouth - Missing,was located on up platform near ladies waiting room(60041 has new information and rekons it was in the ticket office lobby)
Beverley - Extant
Bridlington - Missing, smashed by station demolition contractors.
Darlington - Missing
Durham - Missing
Goole - Missing
Hartlepool - Extant
Hexham - Missing, destroyed by person attempting to remove old poster
Hull Paragon - Missing
Kings Cross - Moved now displayed in NRM York
Leeds City - Missing presumed lost in remodelling of Leeds Area
Malton - Missing
Marylebone - Missing, jurys still out in this debate see Malcolms post General LNER discussion Rolling stock
Middlesbrough - Extant
Morpeth - Extant, located on up platform
Newcastle Central - Missing
Normanton - Missing
Pickering - Originally no map fitted. Replica now installed see page 4.
Saltburn - Extant
Scarborough - Extant, is on the end of the main station building, just before the canopy ends.
Selby - Missing, Information from a colleague thinks the map was lost in the early 1960s when a wall adjacent to the booking office was demolished
South Shields - Extant, displayed In local municipal museum
Thornaby - Pinzac55 on this site posts that Thornaby had a tiled map that was given to the NER historian Ken Hoole on demolition of the station.
Tyne Dock - Missing, destroyed in an arson attack circa 1970
Tynemouth - Extant
Whitby Town/b] - Extant
York - Extant, is just off Platform 3 towards the entrance to the left of the convenience store, facing the platform.
Another - I can confirm another map exists in a stately home with NER connections in the South East of England but due to the house being a military installation viewing is not permitted. (Thanks to a branch of HM Forces for the information and confirmation).
Last edited by 52D on Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:47 am, edited 27 times in total.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

Whitby and Scarborough, existing

Yorks is still in place
Kings Cross is right, but it's in the NRM now
By Mark t
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Hartlepool in place May 2008 seen during K1 railtour.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

What happened to the Darlo map if it was still in existance in 1979.
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

The York One is just off Platform 3 towards the entrance to the left of the convenience store, facing the platform.

Scarborough is on the end of the main station building, just before the canopy ends.
By Mark t
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks Mr Fox
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

I'm surprised there weren't maps in other London terminals, especially Euston and St Pancras. Perhaps these went shortly after the grouping?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

A total of 24 maps are thought to have been made i agree that other London Terminii would have been a good location espescially in light of Malcolms alleged Marylebone photograph. Other locations i would have thought merited a map would have been Carlisle and Tweedmouth with Carlisle being an important NER station and Tweedmouth although shorn of its importance as a frontier post with the opening of the Royal Border Bridge was the Northernmost NER station. In light of the rivalry between the NBR/NER i couldnt see a map being placed at Berwick or Edinburgh.
Eden Blyth
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Eden Blyth »

Interesting. If anyone had asked me if this was a genuine, unedited or retouched photograph of an NER tile map in situ, I'd have had to say that it wasn't. The dado is like nothing I've ever seen, differs between the top and the bottom of the map, and is twice as wide as the norm. Then again, there is at least one panel in it's original location that has no form of framing surround at all, so it's not impossible that the GCR could have made their own....BUT that same frame seems to swallow a little bit of the l/h bottom corner of the map, the map lighting seems to differ from that in the rest of the photo, the definition seems worse in the area of the tile map than in the rest of the photo, the frame seems to be distorted, whereas the adverts adjacent to it are straight, the top l/h corner of the map doesn't sit at all happily with the background, and with the maps being about 5'10" tall, the porter must have been a reight big lad. And finally, why ever would the GCR allow an NER tile map at their terminus?? But if this posting WAS a wind up, it was a beauty - the words sinker, line caught and I think hook come to mind.......!
Eden
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

The Beverley map has the proposed Hudson route to Hornsea starting from Arram north of Beverley on the Hull to Scarborough line. This "Hudson" line was never actually built.

The alternative Hornsea route from Hull was built in 1864 so the Beverley tiled map must date from some time prior or very close to that date.
John B