Tiled maps of the NER

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Tiled maps of the NER

Post by 52D »

Can anyone tell me the manufacturer of the white background tiled maps of the NER that were displayed at stations and also the location of surviving maps. I remember one at Morpeth is it still on display?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Tiled maps or the NER

Post by Bullhead »

52D wrote:Can anyone tell me the location of surviving maps?
I haven't been to Morpeth station for a while, but the last time I visited the map was still there. There are definitely survivors at Whitby and York, and I'm trying to remember if I've also seen them at Malton and Saltburn. However, there must be others.

Aren't the NYMR talking of having a replica ceramic network map made for Pickering, with "sponsor a tile" funding?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

The tile maps were made by Craven, Dunhill and Co. in Shropshire around 1900. The Morpeth map is still there.
One thing that has always surprised me is that there was not a map at Alnwick, despite the station there being very grand and well appointed. I also remember the maps at Middlesborough, Bridlington and Scarborough.
According to Ken Hoole, there were about 24 maps made, but I think there are less than 10 left in their original locations. The one at Tyne Dock was destroyed in an arson attack in the 1970's, and the one at Hexham was destroyed when someone tried to scrape off a poster that had been pasted over it.
The last issue of Railway Magazine had an advert in stating that someone is starting to make them again, but I could not get onto their web site, so I don't know if there was a printing error. I will try again if the advert re-appears in this month's issue and post the results here.
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

There's definitely one at Beverley, too and I'm 99% sure there's one at Scarborough....
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

There definitely is one at Scarborough, but I have been told that the one at Bridlington was broken up some time ago.
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

The contact details for the NER Tile Company are as follows:

The North Eastern Tile Company
4 Foundry Cottages
Wrelton
Pickering
YO18 8PF
Tel. 01751 477216
www.northeasterntilecompany.co.uk

regards
Graham
soupdragon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by soupdragon »

theres a large one on the old booking hall wall at Manchester Victoria (out of region i know) but it shows all the principle stations all the way to Hull. I spotted it the morning after a concert at the MEN Arena early last December

Wikipedia link

its of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I think you will find that the map at Victoria is very likely to be an L & Y version.
On that point would other constituent companies of the LNER have had there own versions of tiled maps?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Didn't read your bottom line before replying sorry.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

There is one in the NRM just round from the shop.
Last edited by x568wcn on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Theres one at Saltburn and Middlesbrough and they are the only two that I see regularly.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

I think that there is scope for a quiz question here.

On the Beverley map ( & I imagine the other NER maps will be identical), there is at least one line shown which was never built (but a bus service was put in place) - any offers?
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

Solario,

The branch line that became a bus service branches off the Hull-Scarborough line somewhere near Arram and heads (roughly) North East towards Brandesburton and North Frodingham (vaguely parallel to the A165).
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

It was proposed as a light railway before it became a bus service.
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

I am not sure of the authenticity, but I was told that the Beverley – North Frodingham bus service operated by EYMS, which was still running in the late ‘50s / early 60’s traditionally departed from Beverley Station as a sort of link with the past NER service unlike other EYMS bus services which would have used Saturday Market place or Norwood at that time.

There used to be a wooden garage in Brandsburton which the NER built to house a bus for the North Frodingham service. I have not been there lately but I expect it is still there.