Tiled maps of the NER

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Tiled maps of the NER

Post by 52D »

Including two replicas and another map that i can confirm exists we are now up to 28 any more offers(check list on page 3 for details).
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
simon1356
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by simon1356 »

I do know that there is also a small book about 6x 8 fold out with the northern area NER map. A signalman freind of mine rescued it, some time in the 1980's I photocopied it, it will be around somewhere. I moved house last year so it could be anywhere it also had some of the colliery wagonways on it. If anyone wants info on the colliery wagonways I strongly recomend "Industrial railways of Durham" by Colin mountford and Les Charlton, long out of print I recently bought a copy via Amazon this is a must have book for the early railways of the North East and does include maps
Si
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Hi as mentioned on page 3 of this thread please find enclosed picture of the map found at a military installation in the South East.
Sorry chaps i have been asked to remove the map due to sensitive information adjoining it. Picture now on display has been passed by the censor.
IMG_0801%20comp[1].JPG
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Eden Blyth
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Eden Blyth »

The new tiled map at Pickering is now complete, and magnificent it is too. It's a great credit to Craven Dunnill, the makers, Peter Brumby and Ray Sowerby, the tiler and his erstwhile apprentice, to the donors who paid for it, and to the unknown person who drew the original design in 1900. It is, at the moment, attracting slightly more attention than the steam locos in Pickering station.....
I've attached - I hope - a few photos of it being erected.
Attachments
Future enthusiasts ......jpg
Peter Brumby finishes the grouting at the end of day 4.jpg
Ray Sowerby fits slips and dado mouldings at the end of day 3.jpg
Ray Sowerby and Peter Brumby discover the lurking photographer.jpg
Day two of tiling.jpg
Last edited by Eden Blyth on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eden
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Looking extremely good Eden, lets hope operating companies on todays network install replicas to replace lost,damaged and never were maps. I should have thought the publicity might do them the world of good.
Eden Blyth
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Eden Blyth »

That'd be nice.
Assuming that they'll let us past the new dalek-lookalike ticket gate excrescences to see them, though.......!
Cynical?
Me?
Eden
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Scarborough map by courtesey of Gerry Balding taken with permission from his flickr pages
scarboro.jpg
Attachments
scarboro.jpg
berwickspotter
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by berwickspotter »

There is a really nice one at barter books at alnwick
inside the cafe bit. what was once alnwick station

and its the same as them above
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

The York one is outside what was the Station Master's Office, hard to believe that it's the same place!
Attachments
station00s.png
station60s.png
station60s.png (100.47 KiB) Viewed 7886 times
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Mr Fox does the gent in the top photo look like that traditional enthusiast, a man of the cloth.
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

No he's the station Master Himself, he walks down and round the corner in to what is now the Whistle stop shop! Taken from the BTF ' This Is York'
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Another station has now got a map although strictly speaking, as my house ceased to be a station in 1850, it never was a NER station.
I have finally got round to putting up the map I had made last year, it is half size and was made to fit behind the cooker as a splashback, unfortunately I had to leave the bottom row off to make it fit. once I get it grouted and the decorating done it should look ok
Attachments
Replica NER tile map
Replica NER tile map
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

OK Mr S i will put you on list as scaled down map in former YN&B station Lesbury
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Is there an N missing?
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

No the N is there, its just lost in the reflection. I have noticed one mistake though, and that is the Alnwick branch which is shown as leaving the Cornhill branch from "Alnwick Jct" about 11/2 miles from the town, whereas the real layout was the Cornhill line diverging from the Alnwick branch immediately beyond the station throat.