LNER in the Second World War

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

LNER in the Second World War

Post by Rlangham »

Looking to expand my knowledge of the LNER in the Second World War - have acquired a copy of ‘Rails to Victory’, has anyone else written anything on the subject?

Additionally looking in to what LNER staff were issued with, I assume operational staff such as drivers, firemen, guards, signalmen etc would be issued with the civil duty gas mask and a steel helmet, I’ve certainly seen a photo of a GWR driver leaning out of the cab wearing a gas mask and helmet - can anyone add to this? I assume LNER helmets would be stencilled LNER somewhere on them, too

Thanks,
Rob
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER in the Second World War

Post by 65447 »

There were a couple of publicity/propaganda type slim volumes issued that described the railways' collective efforts during the WW2: https://illustrated-books.co.uk/product ... e-and-war/ - I have rather well-worn copies of both.

Also B W L Brooksbank's 'London Main Line War Damage' is a comprehensive summary of the London Area bombings and other incidents covering the Big Four. I got a price-reduced copy through Postscript Books. I also have some locally published records of bombings and incidents in the Enfield Area. No doubt there are other records in local libraries, town halls or record offices.

And then there will be a raft of official paperwork about procedures and blackout and all that stuff.

Also try various search terms on this website: http://www.steamindex.com/
JonR
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by JonR »

Hi Rob
Am I sensing you're researching a sequel to your North Eastern Book? If so I look forward to reading it
:D
JR
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I seem to recall a bit of WW2 info in such tomes as "Bill Hoole-Engineman Extraordinary" and the 3 part LNER history by Bonavia

Its always worth a dig around any rail-related swapmeet or open-day or Model Railway Ex to find such items now often long out of print but nowadays cheap-as-chips

Yesterday I stumbled across " 2750 Legend of a Locomotive" by H C Webster for a quid in an odds and sods box at a local Industrial steam gala.
Well chuffed!
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Good accounts from two well known LNER men: RNH 'Dick' Hardy of his experiences and adventures as an apprentice during the war, and D.W. 'Bill' Harvey's work in keeping the locomotive running side going. (He was very clearly that most valuable man, both a first class engineer and a 'company soldier' prepared to be posted wherever the need was most desperate; his immediately previous experience as chief running inspector on Nigerian railways probably very apt preparation for the role.)