A New Station For Edinburgh

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

A New Station For Edinburgh

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Whilst browsing a friend's shelves recently when house-sitting in Edinburgh, I discovered "A Civic Survey And Plan For Edinburgh", a local Govt volume from 1947.
Amongst the usual forward-planning for schools and houses etc there is a section on "Proposals for Communications-Railways" which details a suggestion that there be a "combined long-distance station on two levels at Morrison Street; the upper terminal for LMS traffic and the lower for through LNER traffic."
Waverley was to be retained only as a covered-in regional suburban station. A new tunnel was proposed beneath The Meadows to connect Morrison Street with the ECML at Niddrie

Is anyone aware of what if anything further was produced from this report as I have never seen anything in the usual railway-enthusiast press?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A New Station For Edinburgh

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Rather glad that idea never got implemented as this would have been a far greater loss than the Euston arch. Our only major UK railway station sited amidst a landscape of extinct volcanos with significant glacial modification. You really couldn't make it up.
West_Stanley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by West_Stanley »

Slightly off topic, but can someone name me all of the stations between Edinburgh Waverly and Berwick upon Tweed?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

West Stanley,do you want passenger stations only or goods stations and junctions as well. There are a number of goods only locations especially thinking about the Peases Lie which used to load sugar beet and stable pw stock when work was nearby.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.