Thompson Corridor Coaches

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Alan Wright
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Thompson Corridor Coaches

Post by Alan Wright »

Can anyone tell me the correct colour for Thompson coaches when they were painted plain brown and not immitation teak.
Thank you
Alan
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Hi Alan,

Do you mean pre or post nationalisation? Pre nationalisation when built many were painted the Ersatz Teak, during the war years, when labour was at a minimum and time was so tight when coaches went in for overhaul, inspections etc.. they were generally painted a drab shade of brown, it was quicker and took less effort than the immitation teak of the pre war years. After grouping the coaches continued to be painted in Ersatz Teak for a short while until the BR colour scheme came out. Crimson and Cream for corridor stock, unlined Crimson for the non corridor suburban stock. The stock also lasted long enough to see all over Maroon and a few even survived into the Blue/Grey era of the Corporate Image.

Hope this helps

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
Alan Wright
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Alan Wright »

Hello Karl,
The Thompson Corridor coaches were for 2-3years at least painted brown. This is according to David Jenkinson. I know that they spent some time in Ersatz Teak but this was changed to brown and it is this colour I need to match.
Thanks
Alan