Can anyone identify this?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

EdBrown
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Can anyone identify this?

Post by EdBrown »

P1170006.JPG
I recently came across this item in a cafe related to the LNER network and associated with the lead mining industry.

Does anyone know what it is?

Many thanks

Ed
EdBrown
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Can anyone identify this?

Post by EdBrown »

It appears to be a canister of some sort with a wick perhaps
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

No ex-lead miners about to provide expert opinion then. Some sort of tool or implement. Is the short cylinder actually an open vessel? Does the conical wiped joint on the thinner rod imply that it is a pipe, possibly communicating with the vessel? Why that polished section on the thnner rod/pipe, did it turn or slide in a supporting bearing?

These (and some other visible detail) don't give useful clues to intended function. If we could only see it in use by the undercalciner's mate or whoever it was that wielded it...
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

The cylinder is capped at both ends ,the left hand side has screwed filler cap,the polished part has a indent near the top and appears to be tapered like a paintbrush and the black rod is a possible wooden Dowel ,I wondered if it would contained some sort of fluid for making off either lowdown or high up?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I have looked at this object several times recently and it looks vaguely familiar to me but I can't for the life of me remember where I have seen it before maybe somewhere around the railway maybe not anyway if it comes to me I will post it.
Nige
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Nige »

I'm wondering if it may be a boiler inspectors lamp. Used for inspecting the stays and tubes inside a loco firebox. Also used for finding steam leaks in the smokebox. Not actually seen one of that design, but have seen similar.The shorter held a wick, with cylinder usually filled with paraffin.
A photo with maybe a rule alongside to give idea of size would help.