ECML shared branch line stations of the 1930's

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

ECML shared branch line stations of the 1930's

Post by greenglade »

Good day all

I tried posting this earlier but for some reason it didn't appear?

As the title states, I'm looking for details of mainline stations along the ECML that had a shared branch line. I'm planning ahead for a future model railway and want to include mainline loco's, even if it's just passing through. Can anyone help/advise with locations or know of any publications which may give details of what I'm looking for?

Cheers

Pete
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: ECML shared branch line stations of the 1930's

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Something awry I think. Posted a reply and it disappeared.

Try again: by 'shared branchline station' do you mean the location where the branch makes a junction with the main line? If so, Finsbury Park, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City, Hitchin, Huntingdon, Peterborough, Essendine, Grantham. (Welwyn Garden City is a 'weird one' the station built just south of the existing divergences east and west of the Hertford Luton and Dunstable branches, whose main line terminus was Hatfield, which was also terminus for the St Albans branch.)

My personal choice of Hatfield for a model might give suspicion of bias, but if anyone knows a more interesting spot I would like to hear it. The ECML traffic, the inner sub terminus, terminus for three branch routes, multistage construction dating from the beginning of the line with a very assymetric platform layout some at old lower levels, loco shed, busy goods yards both sides, Prime Minister's personal waiting room, diverted traffic off the LMR Midland route in BR days, and relatively compact withall.
Last edited by Hatfield Shed on Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Hi Hatfield

Yes, although I'm hoping for something smaller...more obscure so to speak...
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

That will be Alne for the Easingwold LR then.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Off the top of my head:-
Pilmoor
Northallerton
Darlington (might be a bit big!)
Ferryhill
Durham (although actual junctions were north and south)
Quite a lot more north of the Tyne as well.

Really nice would be Alnmouth.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Chathill with the branch to seahouses
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

third-rail wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:43 pm Chathill with the branch to seahouses
And a nice overhead signal cabin as well !
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

thanks, for the info guys....would I be able to find track plans, again, is there any published info to help?

Pete
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Chathill has a 2 storey stone built box which I believe is grade 2 listed.i think the amble branch had a overhead box like wylam and hexham ,cannot find apicture chathill with a overhead box but can be proved wrong
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

For track layouts you could start with the National Library of Scotland Map pages ... you can view old OS maps for different periods and scales .. .. maps.nls.uk is the web address but for the full address put Nls in google.

I hope this helps,

Steve

Www.gnrsociety.com
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Thank you, Steve, that's very helpful sir...

Pete
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

greenglade ,
To the earlier-posted London - Grantham list, add Holme, having the branch to Ramsey : Main line narrowing from three tracks to two just before (south of) the station.
I don't think the branch had a proper running junction with the main line though, so might do you if the branch train was a 'shuttle' but not if through passenger trains from/to the main line were wanted.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Albert Hill
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Albert Hill »

Tweedmouth, has the Kelso branch, shed, plenty of data, track plans, timetable etc, on the disused stations site.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

thanks' Albert, Tweedmouth is also a little too big... I found Morpeth which looks interesting, thanks to the link from Steve I can measure distances accurately...If following true scale Morpeth is still big, I forgot to say that I'll be working in 'O' gauge...Morpeth comes out at 60' if I want to keep the branch line with its interesting turntable included. If I reduce it from the station bridge to just where the branch line begins that would make it around 30'.. Still very big, I'll keep looking though, with the link Steve gave me I can work my way along the ECML until I find something more suitable..

Thank you, everyone...I suspect that I'm just at the beginning of a long road... should be fun though...I am thinking ahead as to when I can no longer easily play with the bigger trains....:)

Pete
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

You might also want to include the ex-GN route to Leeds in your survey. While not the ECML, all the mainline classes worked this route and the more difficult terrain may have resulted in more compact sites that suit. (There's also a maximum of junctions with what originated as other company lines on offer: GC, HB&WR, L &Y, LNWR, Midland, NER, which tends to make for interest, the LNER and LMS consequently well entangled along this route.)