Harry Potter and Kings Cross

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Harry Potter and Kings Cross

Post by silverfox »

Before the trolley was installed in the new concourse, back in the early 2000's I think Platform 9 was decorated with banners from the school houses and various warning signs on the platform floor.

I did take some pictures but they have been wiped from the PC. Did anyone else take a set of them?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Harry Potter and Kings Cross

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Off topic, but is it generally known here that the whole thing is a ghastly accident? La Rowling knew there was a station in North London from which red locomotives had departed with trains for Scotland. Just couldn't recall 'Euston' so put in 'Kings Cross' as a placeholder...
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

When I was a resident signalman at Camden Road Junction on the North London line one Saturday afternoon back in the early 2000s a light engine came up the Kings Cross Incline chimney first for sending back towards Canonbury Junction which turned out to be that GWR 'red Hall' which had brought a train into Kings Cross during the afternoon and after being released it had travelled light engine tender first out to Belle Isle and then it ran up the Kings Cross Incline as far as Camden Road chimney first then after crossing over outside Camden Road box is ran eastwards to Canonbury Junction tender first along the No.1 lines and then it would have reversed at Canonbury Junction and had gone around the Canonbury single line to Finsbury Park chimney first and then I presume it went back up to 'the cross' tender first to be facing chimney first northwards. As for the red livery it didn't look right somehow?.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

It certainly didn't look right! Happened to see a filming session late one night, returning from a concert in Town, large section of the east side of KX barriered off. I recall thinking 'how weird is that?' and only on the film release did the penny drop.