1960's SECTIONAL APPENDIX

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

1960's SECTIONAL APPENDIX

Post by Bryan »

Just found this site.
http://www.thesectionalappendix.co.uk/n ... smain.html
It is still under construction but from what can be seen on the finished pages, it will be informative to a lot of people.
The NER pages North and South do fall into the under construction section but it looks like main lines are being covered first then the branches.
thesectionalappendix
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: 1960's SECTIONAL APPENDIX

Post by thesectionalappendix »

Bryan wrote:Just found this site.
http://www.thesectionalappendix.co.uk/n ... smain.html
It is still under construction but from what can be seen on the finished pages, it will be informative to a lot of people.
The NER pages North and South do fall into the under construction section but it looks like main lines are being covered first then the branches.
Hiya Bryan,

Many thanks for mentioning my site.

For anyone who doesn't know what a Sectional Appendix is, it is basically a book that describes the features of a line/route for the information of trainmen, plus local rules and regs, ranging from the obscure (Lines over which freight trains could be worked without a brakevan in rear) through to the bizare (Locations of flame guns for use in bad weather on the Western Region. Proper railways confined themselves to steam lances, but then THAT railway always had to go one better!).

To me the most interesting feature of an old Sectional Appendix is the list of signal boxes, stations and junctions and it is these features that my website majors on. Each route has it's own page. Running lines are shown and junctions are clickable to take you around the country from the comfort of your own computer chair! The site is based on the Sectional Appendices issued on October 1st, 1960. (I have three gaps in my collection: Northern Scotland, Bristol and Plymouth)

As Bryan says, my site is very much a work in progress and I am trying to prioritise tasks, one by one, so that I can measure progress and feel as if I am getting somewhere. That is the reason that I have recently done a lot of work on mainlines like Kings X to Edinburgh, so that I can say at least one aspect of this mamoth task is largely complete. So far I have tended to concentrate on the LMR and this is where the site is nearest to completion. I will try to pay a little bit more attention to the land east of the Pennines now that I have found this fascinating forum though!

In the future I intend to include on my site the opening and closing dates of lines and stations, maps of complex junctions and districts and, perhaps most interesting of all, lists of private sidings at stations (I have station handbooks showing this information from 1904, 1929 and 1956). There will also be extracts from timetables and, as I own working timetables covering the whole of the GN out of Kings cross and the entire NER in 1958, I should be able to come up with some snipets to interest LNER enthusiasts everywhere. On my website at the moment are the pages covering the Manchester Pullman to and from St. Pancras. In the near future I will try to do the same for the Flying Scotsman when steam was still king.

Hope I will be forgiven the brazen plug for my site and I look forward to contributing to the forum.

Kind regards to all,

Brian.

http://www.thesectionalappendix.co.uk