NER Lineside Signs & Markers- Info Please

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

NER Lineside Signs & Markers- Info Please

Post by majormagna »

A friend of mine is in the process of making the Stainmore line for Train Simulator, and I was wondering if someone could help me with some instruction/warning signs and markers.

Firstly, is the "Vee-shaped" Catch Points marker at the down end of Goathland station an NER/LNER fitting, and would that type have been seen on the former "Central Division"?

Secondly, the "B" board at the same station instructing unfitted trains to stop and pin their brakes, would these have been seen at Stainmore summit, or would they be unnessecary due to all freight services stopping there anyway?

Finally, I was hoping someone could point me toward any drawings of those two items, and for the NERs Fog Markers (used as sighting points for signalboxes), or at least a general idea of their height? Sadly no drawings of them are in the NER Signalling or NER Record books sold by the NERA.
Attachments
20200224_180358.jpg
20200224_034824.jpg
Screenshot_20200224-180645_Gallery.jpg
Moors Bound
Starbeck50D
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: NER Lineside Signs & Markers- Info Please

Post by Starbeck50D »

The Catch Point sign is probably LNER - but that's a guess. There is a photo taken around 1905 in the snow near Barras showing a sign "Runaway Points" with white lettering on a black board, two lines of text, about the size of the later ones. I am pretty sure that the original is by Elijah Yeoman of Barnard Castle. I haven't seen a drawing of either sign - they are not in the NER "Book of Standards"
The "fog object" is also not shown in the standards book - a short length of old signal post, with a lamp on top and a disc of about the size of the rotating lamp ground disc (so about 12 inches diam). The lamp you have shown will be about 4 feet above ground - they would be varied to suit the location (and sometimes a convenient signal backlight was used instead: "Signal No.xx to be used as a fog object").
None of the photos I have seen show the "B" boards at Stainmore but that doesn't prove there weren't any...
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: NER Lineside Signs & Markers- Info Please

Post by PinzaC55 »

The Stainmore Line had a unique LNER catch points marker which consisted of a concrete post about 5 feet tall with a concrete cube on the top which had a apex on the top like a small house. The idea was that if there were several feet of snow the marker post could still be seen above it. I have a book which shows a train embedded in snow beside one of these posts and when I walked the Stainmore it was still there minus the cube which it seems was a separate item. There was also a conventional catch points post beside it, This was at (I think) the first surviving road bridge west of Stainmore Summit.
The fog marker was usually known as a "Fogging Object" and they seem to have been made up ad hoc. Those on the southern division would have one of those huge McKenzie & Holland "dustbin" signal lamps , those on the CD and ND would usually have an NER cast iron lamp known as a "bomb" to railwayana collectors because of their weight. These lamps had a square flat plain glass lens.

Edit * I just had a look and I have an LNER dimensioned drawing of the "Spring Points" sign which is exactly the same as the Catch Points sign. I can scan it and email it to you if you want.