Hornsey OHL Electric Control Room

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S&T
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Hornsey OHL Electric Control Room

Post by S&T »

Hi....hope everyone is staying healthy.

Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the OHLE Electric Control Room (might not be correct terminology) at Hornsey?

When I switched to the Telecoms side of S&T at KX we used to go there on regular occasions. If I recall correctly, it was on the first floor of the offices at Hornsey Depot. We had a small equipment room just off the stairs in the corridor leading to the control room. In the control room itself, there were various bits of equipment we had to look after located in the back of the control display, which was a large vertical panel in an arc shape. I think there were desks in front of the panel for two supervisors. We also looked after all their telephones and comms stuff. Maybe it has been ripped out now and replaced by a couple of 12 inch PC monitors!

Any pics of the old panel would be nice.
Cheers
S&T
/\\\ /\\/
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hornsey OHL Electric Control Room

Post by StevieG »

Don't think I can help with photos S&T.

Remember that to the right of the main Control room, there was a small room to the east side with a part-glazed dividing wall, and containing a switchboard and operator, with which/whom all calls from/to lineside Electrification Phones connected, and from where important calls could be put through to the supervisors in the main room.

I don't know if it was in your time, but did you know that when Moorgate (City Widened Lines)/St. Pancras - Bedford was electrified (the MSE project), that was added onto Hornsey ECR (Electric Control Room; the designation I seem to have heard most often : [ But sometimes called ECO (... Office) but that was more usually (latterly anyway) used for the controllers, = Elec. Control Operators ]) ?

Don't know whether the ECR room was re-purposed or is even physically still there or what, but the control of electrification systems, (almost?) everywhere, shifted onto a screen-based system, SCADA, sooner or later, and Hornsey's part of the ECML OLE, plus the Drayton Park - Moorgate (NCL) DC conductor rails, got relocated to York IECC years ago - maybe 2001-ish.
[ But not sure about control of the Midland line's system, although administratively, Network Rail have generally run the Midland lines along with the LNE (ECML plus the North-East) as one 'Route' to varying degrees for quite a while, so Hornsey's control of both routes may have gone to York, lock, stock & .... .]
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \