Skelton Junction Bridges, York

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Poppleton76
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Skelton Junction Bridges, York

Post by Poppleton76 »

Thanks to Richard Marsden for admitting me to this site.
My interest involves the bridge(s) that span the York Harrogate Line and the York Darlington Line. I would be interested in any photographs or drawings of these brick bridges at the Skelton/Poppleton Junction. At the time, this carried the one cartway in a continuous line.The bridge over the Main Line was possibly demolished in WWII, the Harrogate Line bridge was left unused for many years, and with no purpose, before being demolished.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Skelton Junction Bridges, York

Post by Dave »

Welcome to the forum.
York City reference library may have some info, they have all the old press and Yorkshire Post issues and did have old ordnance maps, I used to copy them for work, plus there is search engine at the NRM, but you will have to wait for both to reopen.
Poppleton76
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Poppleton76 »

I used to temporarily work in the General Managers Office in the Headquarters in 1950's where all the plans were stored.
Like you say, I'll just have to await the re-opening of NRM. Various maps are available online that can be displayed.
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

There seems tro have been two sets of bridges at Poppleton Junction, one set immediately after the junction, and another ~400 yards northwards.

The first set seem to have existed as early as the 1850s, but seems to be for some form of path from Acomb Park (now approximately "The Paddock" off the A59) to the "New York Waterworks", possibly originally further before those waterworks were built.

The second set seem to have run from Poppleton Lodge/Poppleton Villa and either went to the river, or was simply an access road to the land between the York-Darlington line and River Ouse.

As visible from This Map.
Moors Bound
Poppleton76
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Poppleton76 »

It is the Poppleton Lodge/Villa track that I am particularly interested in. My father took me down this when I was very young. Thanks for pointing out the Acomb Park track to The New Waterworks; I have not noticed this before.