GER T26 Cross-County Duties to the Southeast

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

AVSRailwaysUK
NER Y7 0-4-0T

GER T26 Cross-County Duties to the Southeast

Post by AVSRailwaysUK »

Hello everyone,

I've heard tell of the T26 class reaching Hastings and other far-flung destinations before, but nothing more specific other than what is outlined in this webpage: https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php ... holden/t26

''Apart from general branch, main line and country trains, they were extensively used on excursions, specials, Royal Trains, troop trains and horse box specials to and from Newmarket. On this latter traffic the T26 class – or ‘Intermediates’, as they were known – came to be the GER’s most-travelled class, with examples known to have worked to places as widespread as Holyhead and Hastings. For all these special duties, more than half of the class were fitted with vacuum ejectors so as to be able to work rolling stock from any British railway company.''

Presumably this would be primarily excursion traffic to the Kent or Sussex coast, via the East London Line? I'm interested in the period 1910-30, and I understand that during the war period they were more likely to have been pressed into use on troop trains to the East Anglian coast or Dover for troop transport? After Grouping I have no idea if these leisure excursions would be likely to have continued.It seems that they weren't very well documented in timetables aside from posters or special timetables issued in the run-up to the trips.

Many thanks in advance,

- Alex