The other Hull Works

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

The other Hull Works

Post by kudu »

Long before the Hull & Barnsley, the Hull and Selby Railway had works in Hull that built two locos, in 1844. Does anyone know where they were? I thought it might have been on the site of Dairycoates shed, but Hoole describes this area as "out in the country, near Dairycoates Farm" when the shed was planned in 1857. And how long did the works last, given that the Hull & Selby itself didn't last long as an independent company.

Any information welcomed.

Kudu
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: The other Hull Works

Post by 52A »

img001.jpg
From Tomlinson, alas no other info.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Thanks, 52A, for your prompt response. That answers my question completely, the text nicely complementing the 1947 map in my copy of "An Ilustrated History of Hull's Railways".

I am trying to get an understanding of where all the railway workshops in Britain were located and am making reasonable progress.

Kudu
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

The National Library of Scotland website has an map (survey date of 1853) which shows the area - https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345028

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious