Holloway South Up

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Holloway South Up

Post by Mickey »

Holloway South Up box stood along side Up & Down running lines at the bottom of the 'Holloway bank' diagonally opposite Holloway South Down box at the site of the former Holloway cattle dock later a Motor Rail terminal in the late 1960s & early 1970s. The box was open continuously and worked to the north with Holloway North Up until 1970 and when that box closed and it worked with Finsbury Park 4 on the Up fast, Up slow, Up Goods & Up Coal line & Ashburton Grove on the 'Creep Up' & Holloway North Down usually with ECS trains departing the 'long siding' heading up towards Kings Cross. To the south the box worked originally with Belle Isle Up box until 1968 and then with the 1933 Kings Cross box until 1971 and then with the current 1971 Kings Cross PSB and with Goods And Mineral Junction box over the Up Goods line.

From memory the box contained a 35 lever frame and employed a telegraph lad until the time of it's closure in 1975.

Hatfield No.1 box would occasionally 'send on' via the single needle telegraph instrument late running Up expresses to Holloway South Up along with Finsbury Park 6 but it may depended on who was working at Hatfield No.1 on the day?.

It was quite usually for trains travelling along the Up slow line from Finsbury Park 4 to be 'turned out' along the Up fast line towards Kings Cross at Holloway South Up.

Holloway South Up in 1975 ---------------------------------------------- possibly taken only a few months before closure in 1975. From memory the colour light signal heads attached to the Up goods line stop signal and the Up slow to Up goods line stop signal were late additions possibly added in the last 8-12 months before closure?.

Above photograph of the railway at Holloway South Up in 1975 was deleted due to it being copyrighted.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Holloway South Up

Post by strang steel »

I doubt this has anything to do with Holloway, but I found it on a strip of negatives I scanned recently and thought it would bring back a few memories.

60120 finsbury park 1960s.jpg
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

strang steel wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:57 pm I doubt this has anything to do with Holloway, but I found it on a strip of negatives I scanned recently and thought it would bring back a few memories.

60120 finsbury park 1960s.jpg
.... On the Down Fast line, actually about to pass Wood Green No.4 signal box and station strang steel.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Thanks StevieG.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

strang steel wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:57 pm I doubt this has anything to do with Holloway, but I found it on a strip of negatives I scanned recently and thought it would bring back a few memories.
A tenuous link John in that Harry Fitzgerald was a signalman at both Holloway South Up sometime in the late 1940s or early 1950s and later on at Wood Green No.1 and later on still at Welwyn Garden City in the 1960s & 1970s.

Meanwhile back at Holloway South Up...

By chance I managed to visit the box one afternoon back in 1972 along with the Holloway South Up 'box lad' because we were both attending the Ilford signalling school at the time trying to learn the single needle telegraph and after finishing at Ilford one afternoon we both went back to Holloway South Up for about 20 minute I think he had to collect something?.

Of interest the trailing points leading from the Up goods line into the Up slow line south of the Caledonian road bridge were unworked 'spring points' and not worked off a lever via point rodding not many people knew that?.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.