GN Section Carriage Working

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

dlester
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

GN Section Carriage Working

Post by dlester »

I am interested in putting together a model of some of the Leeds expresses of the late 1930s. The 10:15am (10:21 on Saturdays) KX to Leeds, the 1:30pm (1:26 on Saturdays) KX to Leeds, sometimes known as the "Leeds Flyer", and 5:50pm (5:55 on Fridays and Saturdays) KX to Leeds. All departure times are from my 1938 facsimile of Bradshaws.

We can obviously put together some of the stock used in these services: the Leeds Quint was used in the 10:15, and the GN Section Restaurant triplet was used in the Leeds Flyer, for example. But looking at Harris' "LNER Standard" book, we get the 1933 position down to some of the individual carriages -- which suggests that these services were sufficiently important that the GN Section carriage working book listed the actual numbers of the carriages used, and not just the class of carriage. This is certainly what is shown in the 1939 ECJS book which is available from the LNER (or was it the NER) Society, where the Flying Scotsman and the 10:05 relief (is this the "Junior Scotsman"?) are listed by individual carriages, while the 10:10 relief (Mondays and Saturdays only) just mentions the carriage classes -- including, gloriously, a Howlden 6-wheel full brake last seen in the winter formation of the Flying Scotsman before the new stock was introduced in 1938, and catering provided by an ex-GN/NE Joint stock pair of Restaurant Third and First Open.

Now Banks and Carter (Volume 1) show in outline roughly what is in all these expresses, but I wondered if anyone can confirm that these services were listed exactly, and if so what those carriages are?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: GN Section Carriage Working

Post by JASd17 »

Some of these carriages were shown as 'K' actual number of the vehicle required.

'robertcwp' of this Forum has the GN Section carriage working books for Summer 1938.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Can I suggest joining Robert’s BR Carriage Workings group (now on groups.io). Despite the name, many pre-BR documents are available through there. Almost all the documents I used for Grantham came through Robert's good offices.
dlester
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by dlester »

A big thanks to both responders.

For anyone else interested in constructing trains of LNER stock here's what you need to do:

(1) create an account at groups.io (if you don't already have one); then
(2) submit a request to join Robert's group: brcoachingstock; then (after being accepted)
(3) goto Files and look for something like "Carriage Workings"

Dave