Station name changes

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Station name changes

Post by silverfox »

Chatting on a local facebook site ,it occurred to me that the three consecutive stations north of Clapton on the Lea Valley line had name changes form when originally opened Being Tottenham ( Tottenham Hale) Park ( Northumberland Park) and Water Lane ( Angel Road)

Are thereany other instances on the LNER?
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Station name changes

Post by Mickey »

Possibly Harringay the next station north of Finbury Park was named Harringay West between 1951-1971 although I still refer to it as Harringay West in my mind. I remember seeing the dark blue enamel B.R. station signs with Harringay West written on them along with the gas lighting on the station platforms until the early 1970s.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Mickey, Harringay West/Stadium/Green Lanes? on the St.Pancras to Barking line with the odd Sourf-End on Sea thru working,(saw Stanier 3cyl&F airburn tanks on lay over @14B),Before some bright spark dropped an "R"to save money on signage? my next door neighbour, the father a ticket collector there&the Son on the footplate, met him once on this turn to Barking @ St Pancras,gave me a footplate ride on a Stanier 2mt tank to Highgate Holloway Rd,Driver said"they couldn't boil a Kettle" preferred the Fowler,just duck your head @ Engine Shed Junc. before the branch started proper,"Dont want anybody reporting me from the Box there".
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

A name change in the last 40 years is Wood Green to Alexandra Palace. Alexandra Palace or as it is known by the locals of north London as 'Ally Pally' is located to the west of the railway station up a steep'ish hill.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Dave Cockle »

I think New Southgate has had more name changes than any other station I can think of.

1850 - Colney Hatch & Southgate.
1855 - Southgate & Colney Hatch.
1876 - New Southgate & Colney Hatch.
1883 - News Southgate for Colney Hatch.
1923 - New Southgate & Frien Barnet.
1971 - New Southgate

In the early years the locals residents wanted to distant themselves as being associated with the Colney Hatch Asylum.
It took thirty three years for that to happen!