LNER road vehicles

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

LNER road vehicles

Post by NZRedBaron »

Does anyone know about what sort of road services vehicles the LNER might have used? I mean, like the Commer vans, Thorneycroft Nippy's, and Scammell Scarabs/Mechanical Horses are obvious examples, but what about others, such as rigid-frame dropsides, or maybe even buses, or whatever.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: LNER road vehicles

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi well you've named most apart from the Walker or Pagefield cranes,the karrier bantams replaced the old & new Scammells sometimes, living near the road transport workshops in Ashburton Grove gave a view of old trucks returning like elephants to be scrapped always found it strange with the Engineers "blue"faded livery almost becoming a faded purple hue @ end of life repainting or scrapping on the pre-war Commers I saw,also the Ford one ton vans &Fordson Trucks with half canvas canopy that came in from further outposts like Huntingdon&Hitchin,I can only relate to early post nationlisation observations, but lots of the trucks were pre-war just repainted in to blood/custard with Blk wings hope this helps,
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

I see.

I've got an idea for my layout to have a largish goods yard, with lorries carrying various goods in and out of the depot; the problem is that, as far as I can tell, it's near impossible to find ready-built or even kits of such vehicles for anything earlier than 1950's BR "Blood and Custard"; at best you might find some demobbed ex-army lorries and maybe a bus from literally days before the war broke out, but for a layout I have in mind, there's almost nothing; not even horse and carts.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Hello, just found the thread. I converted the Merit Thorneycroft Type PB 4 Ton lorry to be an LNER one, having read that they used a wide variety of vehicles:
Merit Thorneycroft PB 20210312 (10).jpg
Merit Thorneycroft PB 20210312 (12).jpg
Recently, I've been working my way through the LNER Magazine, which ran from 1927 to 1947, researching a future model build. In the course of that, I've saved various photos that I tohught might also be useful, as I plan to build more LNER road vehicles - here are a couple, I'll add some more in another post as this seems to have reached the upload limit:
LNER advertising van  (LNER Mag Vol 24 No 12 Dec 1934).jpg
LNER lorries, grain loads (LNER Mag Vol 21 No 10 Oct 1931).jpg
Chas
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Here are a few more photos of LNER road vehicles - I hope they help, or ay any rate inspire:
LNER lorry express collection York  (LNER Mag Vol 24 No 4 Apr 1934).jpg
LNER lorry express delivery (LNER Mag Vol 24 No 1 Jan 1934).jpg
LNER lorry fleet, Leicester (LNER Mag Vol 24 No 5 May 1934).jpg
LNER lorry, new signage (LNER Mag Vol 20 No 7 Jul 1930).jpg
(I've been using scans of the Magazine bought on CD from the GER Society. I asked if it would be alright to post some articles and photos from the Magazine as part of research I'm doing for another project on a thread on another channel (I'm shortly going to build an LNER Sentinel-Cammell rail coach) and they were happy for me to do so but asked if I would mention their File Emporium, which you can find here: https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php ... orium-home and explain a bit about it.
The Society makes a huge number of drawings, pictures and documents available and proceeds from sales go towards the scanning and making available further material for research - I have no connection with them, just a very happy customer!)
Chas
DOCJACOB
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by DOCJACOB »

I recall Hull Street Life Museum has a restored LNER livery mechanical horse?
DOCJACOB
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by DOCJACOB »

I recall Hull Street Life Museum has a restored LNER livery mechanical horse?

Image on there website.

From railway vehicle think there is NER break van & BR Fish van
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

It might be worth checking out Sascha Freundenberg’s designs on Thingiverse. I am not well up on road vehicles but aside from developing an excellent range of railway containers from the 1920s and 30s, Sascha has a few lorries up as well. I know he is also working on a Walker Pagefield crane based on drawings in the LMS journal, but that may be sometime away from being available to download.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5413854
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

carlislecitadel2 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:59 pm It might be worth checking out Sascha Freundenberg’s designs on Thingiverse. I am not well up on road vehicles but aside from developing an excellent range of railway containers from the 1920s and 30s, Sascha has a few lorries up as well. I know he is also working on a Walker Pagefield crane based on drawings in the LMS journal, but that may be sometime away from being available to download.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5413854
Wow - they are very nice, aren't they?
Chas
Slanjonok
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Slanjonok »

Hi,
I hope my question is in line with this treat… Stephen/carlislecitadel2 already promoted my models, which are free to download for everyone having a 3D-printer: https://www.printables.com/@Slanjonok/c ... ons/654987

One of the future models I’m currently working on is the Karrier Cob, being used by all Big4.

During the modelling process I found insufficient information/pictures about the inside of the cabin, which would be visible, due to the missing cabin doors. Here starts my request for support: I know that an example of this mechanical horse is on display at National Railway Museum York. Living in Germany it’s not so simply to visit for me. So, my hope is someone here in the forum may have pictures of this lorry, especially of the inside part of the cabin or is anyway visiting the museum soon and willing to make such photos to share with me.

Many thanks in advance for you help.
Attachments
09.jpg