RCTS 19 volumes on LNER locomotives

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

RCTS 19 volumes on LNER locomotives

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hello,
I have never seen one of these books, and was wondering if they contain diagrams and dimensions.
Thank you in advance.

Kimball
drmditch

Re: RCTS 19 volumes on LNER locomotives

Post by drmditch »

They contain some diagrams although not for all classes, and usually for development stages or 'might have beens'.
They do contain dimensions and many details for all classes, with discussions of livery and technical developments over time
There are also many photographs, which can be very useful indeed.

I managed to build up a complete set over several years, from bookstalls at shows and heritage railway shops.
I would see these 'green books' as being very useful for anyone interested in the LNER and it's precursors.
Mine live in one of my bedside bookcases, for wake-up coffee reading or for sleepless times at 3:00 am.

I also have the Yeadon volumes for classes in which I am particularly interested.

The only problem is that are 'perfect bound', and thus handled with a degree of care.
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Thank you very much drmditch.
That explains it all very nicely.
I do see these at times with eBay sellers. Easy to add to an order.

I hope you are all keeping safe and warm - I have two adult daughters living in Europe so I hear the latest news.

Kimball.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

I would recommend starting with Part 1, simply because of all of the essential and useful information that it contains. Parts 2A to 9B embrace groups of types/classes, tender engines first and then tank engines. Part 10A covers Departmental stock, sheds, and tender and boiler numbering, while 10B Railcars and Electric Stock. Part 11 provides corrections for any and all of the offending entries in previous Parts.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I think I'd heard talk of a part 11 but I've never actually seen one and I wondered if "part 11" was a misnomer for part 10B. Confirmation that part 11 exists is therefore quite interesting. Clearly it's not a thrilling read in isolation...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Whilst Part 11 is not a thrilling reading in isolation, it is important. When it is remembered that many RCTS volumes date back to the sixties, there was bound to be additional information becoming available; Vol 11 with a 1994 date seeks to remedy this. What is really missing is a digitalised version of RCTS if possible incorporating Yeadons. This would require significant work to maintain, and importantly prevent unauthorised amendments.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks, that's useful to know. Although I generally have no room for yet more books, it would seem that I may have to squeeze that one in.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.