How many Stations did the LNER have?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

How many Stations did the LNER have?

Post by 65447 »

I've looked in the Railway Year Books and other likely sources such as Geoffrey Hughes and CJ Allen's histories, with no joy. It does not appear to be a statistic collected by the RCH or HMG. The nearest I can find is in the staffing figures with around 7,000 in the post of stationmaster or yardmaster across all of the British railways.

Does anyone know where I can find this number please?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: How many Stations did the LNER have?

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Don't recollect any better offer than 2,600 'stations and depots' (Geoffrey Hughes, 'LNER').

Apart from being a neatly rounded number, was that at formation in 1923 or as passed over to BR at end 1947 - or some other date? Hmm.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Thanks HS.

I am trying to ascertain how frequently the LNER had its stations and so on painted. According to a publicity report in the Railway Magazine in 1936 it was to be just shy of 400 that year. I was lent copies of Painting Tenders for Farringdon Goods Depot issued in 1943 and 1947 - i.e. 4 years apart.

But 400 in 2,600 means every 6.5 years on average - which I think is too far apart.

Of course some Painting Tenders covered a whole branch or section of line, so not much help counting them either.

Anyone out there got any ideas or information?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I suspect you will have to replicate the work of whoever it was in the publicity department that collated the repaint figure for 1936 used in the Railway Magazine article. That of course dependent on evidence surviving; I assume that the LNER will have had 'Estates' functions (under that or some other title) with committee minutes to record their planned activity.