Lavatory fitted coaches

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Lavatory fitted coaches

Post by boeing757 »

Hi all
Just a quick question. On cross country trains, what was the maximum journey time before either corridor coaches or semi corridor coaches with lav facilities were rostered?
Thanks
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Lavatory fitted coaches

Post by Dave »

Interesting question, but I have no idea.

Possibly a look at a wtt will give you an idea.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Deadly simple.

There was no such thought process.

Consider excursion trains, with no facilities in either direction, OK on the way there, sort of, but hopeless on the way back.

This could still happen in the 1980s from Nottingham to Skeggy. A long stop was required at Sleaford!

John
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

Hence the 'not-empty' beer bottles along the lineside from Skeggie to Nottingham.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

I believe the thing to do was lower the droplight and pee on the window. The liquid would run inside the door and out the drain holes at the bottom of the door.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

From memory urinal facilities were available on some classes of diesel locos but not all classes of locos because from memory they weren't on the class 31s and maybe not on the class 47s either although the class 55 Deltics had a small stainless steel bowel located in the engine compartment although that was definitely NOT a place to linger to long in the engine compartment of a Deltic unless you didn't care about going deaf!. Pardon??.
Last edited by Mickey on Mon May 17, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

The few blue livered outer suburban 'block ender' sets that were still knocking around and mainly used on the Kings Cross-Hitchin-Royston outer suburban diagrams in the late 1960s and early 1970s had toilets on board in one or two coaches in the rake as well as a gangway from one end of the coach to the other I vaguely recall.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by boeing757 »

Thank you everyone for some interesting replies. Must remember the trick of lowering the drop light and peeing on the window.
Bob
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

When I was a secondman at Kings Cross back in 1975 I wanted to 'go to the bathroom' one evening when riding on a class 31 loco when coming Up road light engine from Peterborough going back towards London and on passing Langford bridge (south of Biggleswade) and approaching Arlesey signal box & reverse curve I left the cab and went back through the engine compartment of the loco to the back cab and opened the door inwards and 'took in the view' just as we hit the reverse curve and point work at Arlesey s/box and was nearly thrown out of the open door!. Fortunately the back cab drivers side window was pulled down and I instantly managed to hook my right arm around the gap between the pulled down drivers window and the open door otherwise I would have ended up laying across the Down fast line outside Arlesey s/box!!.