Whitemoor Yard Help

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Whitemoor Yard Help

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all.

I've been posting some pdfs of arrivals and departures for different yards. These have been taken from the WTTs from winter 1952/3, winter 1953/4 and Winter 1956/7. I have also annotated each service with the Loco diagrams from summer 1953. These have been posted on the britishrailways groups.io.

I'm trying to put together a list of Arrivals and Departures into Whitemoor Yard with another member of the group. We have got the Loco diagrams for all GE services, but what we are missing the following and we would like some help to locate the diagrams or if someone can supply them, we would greatly appreciate it.

LMR diagrams of about 3 pairs of services into the Yard via Peterborough East.
GN services into the Yard via the GN/GE joint line.

The years we are doing are winter 1956/7. We may do winter 1953/4 as well.

We are also asking for some background information to give a 'flavour' of what passed through the yards. Also any information as to what each of the Yards were used for (e.g.,empties) would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Stu

(Ps-sorry to anyone on the group.io as you have probably already seen this kind of message before)
On Instagram: woodbourne_modelrailway.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Whitemoor Yard Help

Post by 65447 »

How about sharing the information across this Forum too?
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

No problem 👍

We planning to do Temple Mills after... so that can be put up on here too (If we ever find the freight diagrams for the Stratford Suburban District....)

Stu
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

Not what you are asking about but the following dvd from Transport Video Publishing is a fairly interesting dvd to watch featuring many of the marshalling yards around the country from the 1950s through to the 2000s including Whitemoor. This dvd came out about two years ago and after covering yards such as Carlisle, Toton, Healey Mills, Seven Tunnel Junction, Whitemoor, Temple Mills and several others it comes to the conclusion that ultimately they were 'white elephants' being built or enlarged at a time after the announcement of the '1955 modernisation plan' when 'block freight trains' were the future of freight traffic and wagon load freight was on a slow and steady decline through the 1960s & 1970s before finally being phased out completely by B.R. during the mid 1980s on Britain's railways.

Freight Marshalling Yards dvd- https://transportvideo.com/product/frei ... ing-yards/

Temple Mills you say?. I was around the Stratford area in 1979 and visited Temple Mills marshalling yards in the copacity as a secondman (fireman) at Stratford loco just a stones throw away on a number of occasions back then which included Manor yard and 'the hump' although I don't recall going over the hump on a loco but I recall seeing it on a number of occasions.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I read your posts on the BR group, Stuart and they're very interesting. I'm sure they'd be just as welcome on this forum.
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Thanks for the replys

What we are looking to do for Whitemoor is include a brief history of yard, and also a little bit about the operation of the Yard. So information about what part of the Yard was used by empties, what part for more fitted goods etc. would be of great help.

Stu
Last edited by 03piggs on Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all.

If anyone could help me with the following, it would be greatly appreciated;

I need workings into Whitemoor for the following depots in the early to late 50s;
Doncaster (36A)
Retford (36E)
Ardsley (37A)
Colwick (38A)
Lincoln (40A)
Immingham (40B)
Stockton (51E)

I have already sorted out York workings into Whitemoor and have the Doncaster Passenger diagrams. Not sure of any other depots that worked into Whitemoor. Possibly Boston, Frodingham and Langwith Junc. If any have these, please could you have a look, and let me know please.

Will give you credit on the final document. I need these to complete it.

Thanks in advance

Stu
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all,

Thought I'd give everyone an update on this project.

Lists of arrivals and departures are complete for both winter 1953 and winter 1956. Diagrams have been added to winter 1953 and I am in the middle of transposing these to winter 1953.

This is taking longer than I first thought, as I'm having to use several other locations to help 'tie down' these workings....one of which I haddnt even started!

I'm still in need of freight diagrams for the following;
Doncaster; Colwick; Immingham; Lincoln.

Also if anyone has any LMR diagrams that show workings into Peterborough East, please let me know.

I hope to post it on here when complete if it fits in the 2mb limit.

Thanks for the help,

Stu.

(Ps; I have done a&d sheets for several other yards in East Anglia. Please let me know if you would like a list of them, and I can post them up on here.)
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all

Still slowly progessing with this.

Temple Mills has been mostly completed, so once I've sorted out the history of the yard, I'll post it up on here, and a couple of other forums.

I'm working through a brief history on Whitemoor, and I know the hump yard was opened by the LNER in 1923 (or there abouts. Sorry this off the top of my head) There were Sidings there before, apparently a GN yard and a seperate GE yard. Does anyone know when these were opened?

I've tried looking through some old gers journals but not come up with anything.

Stu
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all.

Thought id make one last try at this.

I'm nearly finished sorting out this list of Arrivals & Departures but have a few gaps in the diagrams if anyone can help.

I'm looking for any diagrams from depots that worked into Whitemoor/March from the GN/GE Joint line (Lincoln Direction) I've already found the York diagrams, but for the other depots I have nothing (believe me, I've even got saved searches on ebay for some of these) The depots I'm looking for are the following:
Doncaster; Immingham; Lincoln; Retford; Ardsley; Colwick & Stockton.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. i hope this will be released sometime in the new year.

Stu
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all.

I've finished this project now. Unfortunately, I've been unable to get much information on the GN diagrams, so I've done the best I could with the information I have had to hand, so I hope this will satisfy everyone.

Hopefully this will be posted in the new year, it will be 2 years of Winter 1953/54 and Winter 1956/57.

These may be posted on fewer forums due to negative comments, but as I haven't received that on here, I will be posting them on this forum and appreciate the support and positive comments of the majority.

Stu