Temple Mills Help

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Temple Mills Help

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi the smell in that area I suspect/know came from Carpenders Rd Stratford,have to be a strong wind to reach High Meads from Bethnal Green!,the industries incl.Yardleys(perfumes) an abattoir/fish meal &paint factories & others, take your pick & a road with plenty of bends &a low bridge that required the uncommon (in Central London) lowbridge AEC London Transport RLH D/D buses on the 208/(178)?route,acquiring the name when passing thru as "the land of the seven ar.....es"by many acquainted with the area,& unknown to me also Mickey's soap factory.jj
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

A soap factory in Bethnal Green?. Well the stink reached Stratford Freightliner terminal and the area around High Meads & Lea Junctions because the PONG was pretty bad although it wasn't like a 'steak bomb' kind of smell but more like a SOAPY kind of smell/pong which I remember when visiting Stratford Freightliner terminal both in 1974 when I was at Kings Cross loco and again in 1979 when I was at Stratford loco.

I bet that PONG isn't around that area these days amongst the residential blocks of high rise YUPPY flats. :wink:
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Mickey wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:41 pm I bet that PONK isn't around that area these days amongst the residential blocks of high rise YUPPY flats. :wink:
Urban Dictionary: Ponk - a popular term used in Miami to describe or specify a gay male. Hmmm...
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Thanks for your observation my post has been corrected to the word PONG which I meant.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

rockinjohn wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:53 am Hi the smell in that area I suspect/know came from Carpenders Rd Stratford,have to be a strong wind to reach High Meads from Bethnal Green!
Yeah agree jj it seems a bit of a long way for a soapy pong to originate in Bethnal Green then travel all the way through Bow to Stratford and nobody in the intervening distance appears to have raised a stink about THE PONG?. The PONG had to have originated nearer to Stratford no way did it come from Bethnal Green.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Mickey wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:44 pm
rockinjohn wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:53 am Hi the smell in that area I suspect/know came from Carpenders Rd Stratford,have to be a strong wind to reach High Meads from Bethnal Green!
Yeah agree jj it seems a bit of a long way for a soapy pong to originate in Bethnal Green then travel all the way through Bow to Stratford and nobody in the intervening distance appears to have raised a stink about THE PONG?. The PONG had to have originated nearer to Stratford no way did it come from Bethnal Green.
My father worked for the LNER and then BR(E). In the later 1950s he was based in Hamilton House. Not only did I often accompany him to work on a Saturday morning, other journeys by Quint-Art from and to Enfield Town took us through that area. We then moved to Colchester and when I started work at King's Cross (CCE's) in 1964 I used to commute daily through it as well.

I can assure you that was where the soapy aroma originated, although there were other soap factories in the East End.

People didn't complain; it was employment and a far better smell than some others, and to locals it was part of the environment.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

65447 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:52 pm
Mickey wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:44 pm
My father worked for the LNER and then BR(E). In the later 1950s he was based in Hamilton House. Not only did I often accompany him to work on a Saturday morning, other journeys by Quint-Art from and to Enfield Town took us through that area. We then moved to Colchester and when I started work at King's Cross (CCE's) in 1964 I used to commute daily through it as well.

I can assure you that was where the soapy aroma originated, although there were other soap factories in the East End.

People didn't complain; it was employment and a far better smell than some others, and to locals it was part of the environment.
Hamilton House?. I'm pretty sure I visited that place a few times about 15-20 years ago I believe it was along the road from Liverpool Street station in Bishops Gate a bit of a non-descript 1950s brick and glass building.

The very first time that I ever visited Kings Cross station after arriving by local train from WGC on a x2 car Cravens unit was in June 1967. The station frontage was straight out of The Lady Killers film where even in 1967 you would possibly find a black taxi cab of possibly 1940s or 1950s vintage waiting for you out front of the station?. Shortly after possibly in 1968 the front of the station was a building site with the digging of the Victoria line commencing and going on for some months.
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Mickey, spot on with Hamilton Hse it was @ the Street,also another major employer in the Stratford Area was Lesney the Manufactures of "Matchbox Toys" whos hot metal stamping smell, not to unpleasant, but an addition to the subject, with a very large fleet of D/Deck buses for workers shift transport,think they had a factory in Tottenham also their main "claim to fame" in earlier years being the model of the Queens Coronation Coach which proved a regular money spinner long after the real event.jj
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Mickey wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:02 pm Hamilton House?. I'm pretty sure I visited that place a few times about 15-20 years ago I believe it was along the road from Liverpool Street station in Bishops Gate a bit of a non-descript 1950s brick and glass building.
Your estimate of when you visited "Hamilton House" and your description of it depends on which of Liverpool Street's 'Hamilton Houses' you mean Mickey.

To me it sounds like it was the old one, which looked like it could've been original from the building of the station's East side in the 1890s, which did indeed stretch along Bishopsgate, and I think remained until the progressive complete redevelopment of those buildings along the Bishopsgate side of the station starting from about 1985, (so, 35 years ago).
Meanwhile, as part of the main Broadgate development (on the site of Broad Street station and Goods Yard, from about the time of that station's 1986 closure), one of the development's buildings was between Appold Street and the north end of the station's West side (plus the modern Exchange Square above it). And when I moved to BR's Anglia Region in 1989 (32 years ago), I found it was the new Hamilton House, the Region's HQ.
Yet 'all things must change' : In 1999, by then Railtrack's East Anglia Zone's offices, the HQ moved elsewhere, and around 2000/1 I think, that 'new' HH (which was of modest size compared with most of Broadgate's buildings) was itself demolished and replaced by a larger building.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

GE Hamilton House

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:47 am
Mickey wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:02 pm Hamilton House?. I'm pretty sure I visited that place a few times about 15-20 years ago I believe it was along the road from Liverpool Street station in Bishops Gate a bit of a non-descript 1950s brick and glass building.
Your estimate of when you visited "Hamilton House" and your description of it depends on which of Liverpool Street's 'Hamilton Houses' you mean Mickey.
From memory myself along with my signalling colleagues periodically every 6-7 months attended Hamilton House on our 'Cognisco days' (railway rule book knowledge tests and rules up dates) between 2005-2007 and in fact thinking about it I was at Hamilton House on Wednesday July 6th 2005 the day that London was announced as winning the 2012 Olympics although the next day the London bombings took place. As for the actual building as previously posted from memory it was a brick & glass building maybe 6 or 7 storeys tall and built either during the 1950s or 1960s I would hazard a guess?.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GE Hamilton House

Post by StevieG »

Mickey wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:11 am
StevieG wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:47 am
From memory myself along with my signalling colleagues periodically every 6-7 months attended Hamilton House on our 'Cognisco days' (railway rule book knowledge tests and rules up dates) between 2005-2007 and in fact thinking about it I was at Hamilton House on Wednesday July 6th 2005 the day that London was announced as winning the 2012 Olympics although the next day the London bombings took place. As for the actual building as previously posted from memory it was a brick & glass building maybe 6 or 7 storeys tall and built either during the 1950s or 1960s I would hazard a guess?.
Height and construction sounds about right for 'new' Hamilton House Mickey, but I can't work out the rest of your supplied details. For one thing, 'new' Hamilton House (as does the current building that replaced it), stood virtually where the middle of the immediate approach to Broad Street platforms was, close to the former site of No.1 Box.

I worked in RT/NR Anglia HQ from 1995-2002 (except for 15 months from '97), and 2009-2012.
In 1999 all of our HQ organisation was moved from 'new' Hamilton House to East Anglia House, 12-34 Great Eastern Street, at the corner of Holywell Lane, about 50 yards from the old NL Line viaduct, and from the building that viaduct (by then completely trackless of course), was visible from the old NLR Shoreditch station to just short of Worship Street bridge (very close to the site of Skinner Street Jn. box), with the site of New Inn Yard box only about 200 yards to the south.
But where Cognisco attendees would have to go in 2005-7, I don't know.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
rockinjohn

Re: Temple Mills Help/hamilton house

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Stevie/Mickey some of the offices in the "old"building I think looked over the Eastern arrv./dep platforms on the East Side of the "street" their view not extending to the westside of the "street",but they could see the N2's in the stabling siding @ Broad street " high on the mountain" think of the song Mickey released on Top Rank.I think their may have been office access from that "East London"line platform @the Bishopgate End of the the platform for staff saw quite a few "bowler hats "near there.jj
rockinjohn

Re: Temple Mills Help/Ivatt 2-6-0

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi when those J15's(65447)/E4's needed replacing on light GE branch lines the Ivatt 2-6-0's were welcomed by the crews with their free steaming& economical boilers needing little coal or water & a nice cosy cab,the locos whether with either chimney(standard or narrow) fitted, did the job well as designed ,my question is to those with greater knowledge than my own, is did they get transferred away before major o/haul, never saw one anywhere near (30A) or works ,Darlington a likely place for o/haul for a lot of the class, if&when they returned to GE allocation.jj
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Temple Mills Help/hamilton house

Post by WTTReprinter »

rockinjohn wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:31 am Hi Stevie/Mickey some of the offices in the "old"building I think looked over the Eastern arrv./dep platforms on the East Side of the "street" their view not extending to the westside of the "street",but they could see the N2's in the stabling siding @ Broad street " high on the mountain" think of the song Mickey released on Top Rank.I think their may have been office access from that "East London"line platform @the Bishopgate End of the the platform for staff saw quite a few "bowler hats "near there.jj
Hi.
You're quite right. I was in & out of Hamilton House quite a bit in my early career. Most notably, I took my signalling training there. The school at Ilford was fully booked so they set up an additional course in Hamilton House with an LTS DI (Frank Conlan I think his name was) The room we were in had that view out over Broad Street. When we were done at the end of the day, we would leave via the door you mentioned out onto platform 18.
The Control Office was also somewhere in the building, though I can't remember which floor now.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
Mickey

Re: GE Hamilton House

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:15 pm Height and construction sounds about right for 'new' Hamilton House Mickey, but I can't work out the rest of your supplied details. For one thing, 'new' Hamilton House (as does the current building that replaced it), stood virtually where the middle of the immediate approach to Broad Street platforms was, close to the former site of No.1 Box.

I worked in RT/NR Anglia HQ from 1995-2002 (except for 15 months from '97), and 2009-2012.
In 1999 all of our HQ organisation was moved from 'new' Hamilton House to East Anglia House, 12-34 Great Eastern Street, at the corner of Holywell Lane, about 50 yards from the old NL Line viaduct, and from the building that viaduct (by then completely trackless of course), was visible from the old NLR Shoreditch station to just short of Worship Street bridge (very close to the site of Skinner Street Jn. box), with the site of New Inn Yard box only about 200 yards to the south.
But where Cognisco attendees would have to go in 2005-7, I don't know.
It is the same building Stevie. To be honest I didn't really take a lot of notice of the building because it didn't look nothing special.

The Cognisco?. The signallers would gather in one of the ground floor rooms in the building.

I noticed the 'missing bridge' on the walk to and from Liverpool Street station and Hamilton House.