Loaded weight of a 16ton mineral wagon

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

cunningnLNER
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Loaded weight of a 16ton mineral wagon

Post by cunningnLNER »

This will sound like a stupid question to those in the know - but I am confused as to the fully-laden weight of a '16 ton' steel bodied mineral wagon (BR era). I have seen it described as having a 16 ton capacity and also as a 16 ton load. But in many discussions there is an implication that it is 16 tons in total weight when fully loaded - with the wagon itself weighing around 7.5 tons - implying a 8.5 ton maximum coal/mineral load.

Any clarity would be gratefully received as there is quite a difference between pulling 30 16 ton wagons and pulling 30 24 ton wagons!

Cheers
Neil
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Loaded weight of a 16ton mineral wagon

Post by jwealleans »

16T is the load capacity - if the tare weight (the wagon itself) is 7 tons then the total weight of the wagon loaded to capacity is 23 tons.

That's why tare weight is almost always shown on a goods vehicle, so the total deadweight of a train to be hauled can be calculated.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

A late friend had some coal traffic wagon cards from the 1960s, which would at that date most likely be conveyed in 16T vehicles, and as I recall it loads ranged from 7 tons some cwt, up to just shy of 10 tons.
cunningnLNER
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by cunningnLNER »

Many thanks to both of you - my ignorance was starting to annoy me ;-)

Neil