Iron or steel loads pre-1920

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Iron or steel loads pre-1920

Post by kimballthurlow »

This is a question about iron and steel products, and presume the answer could apply anywhere in Britain (or the world for that matter).

In doing freight loads for a pre-grouping model, I wondered if iron or steel could have been rolled in pre-1920 days into shapes like angle (L), H or T sections?
I have a catalogue booklet dated 1924 (BHP Limited, Australian Steel Works) where rails (for railways) sections are specified.
Slab, flats, L, H, T and solid (square, round, hexagonal and octagonal) sections are certainly specified. But there are no hollow square or rounds.

regards
Kimball
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Iron or steel loads pre-1920

Post by Hatfield Shed »

You are looking at the cutting edge of metal forming technologies in the pregroup period. Rolling mills for plate were going by C17th; and those for forming solid sections developed rapidly from the 1820s on as bulk steel production steadily improved, driven by demands for products such as rail for the railways. (Henry Cort is a name to look up.) Hollow sections were more problematic, but the need for seamless drawn steel tubes in steam raising equipment such as loco boilers drove progress.

Sadly, my late Father in Law, (MechE who graduated from Sheffield U, where his Father was a lecturer, and those in previous generations worked in the Sheffield steel industry) could have given you chapter and verse...
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hello HatfieldShed,
Thank you.
I am pretty sure that is enough to answer my question.
The 1924 catalogue does not show the word NEW or typical mid to late-20thC marketing shouting like JUST OUT.
So my guess is apart from really large hollow sections it was all hum-drum stuff.

regards
Kimball
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Many thanks. Most interesting.
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hello 65447,

Thank you very much for that link - it is very descriptive and enlightening.
My brother who is a structural engineer in Glasgow will find that interesting if he does not already know about it.

regards
Kimball Thurlow
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

In summary (from the link given by 65447), the following is of cogent value to me.

Mild steel beams began to replace wrought iron beams soon after 1850 and by the year 1900 had almost entirely taken over from the latter.
It is stated in 1879 that rolled wrought iron beams of depths 3" to 14" in an endless variety were obtainable from different makers in UK and abroad ....
Steel sections were produced in quantity from about 1883 though some of the smaller sections were available in mild steel before that date.
The Dorman Long and Co catalogue of 1887 showed rolled steel beams (H) from 20" x 8" down to 3" x 1.1/4".
The same catalogue showed channels (U), and angles (L).
By 1914 hollow round (o) cruciform (+) and tee (T) sections are indicated in mild steel.

Hollow sections are mentioned before 1900 as made in a hard casting or wrought iron process.

Kimball Thurlow