Bishop Auckland to Newcastle

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

TwoBlues
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Bishop Auckland to Newcastle

Post by TwoBlues »

I was brought up in Bishop Auckland and used the wonderful (though very tired in my time) station there. I have always wondered if there were ever services from Bishop to Newcastle via Crook, Tow Law, Blackhill, Consett, so going into Newcastle from the west.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Bishop Auckland to Newcastle

Post by PinzaC55 »

According to Bradshaws 1910 railway timetable there were 5 services a day from Darlington to Blackhill via Bishop Auckland some of which appear to have spent 20 minutes at Blackhill then went forward to Newcastle via Shotley Bridge.All but one stopped at ALL stations and for example the 07.00 from Darlington departed Bishop Auckland at 07.35 and arrived in Newcastle at 09.48.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

There appear to be 4 trains in the Summer 1938 public timetable.

But, both the morning trains have a half-hour plus layover at Blackhill.

The 2.4pm ex-Darlington, 2.32pm from Bishop Auckland, only has 11 minutes at Blackhill before heading to Newcastle at 3.38pm arriving in the city at 4.19pm. There was also a Saturdays Only evening train 6.55pm ex-Darlington, ten minutes at Blackhill d 8.38pm and into Newcastle at 9.19pm.

By comparison Bishop Auckland to Newcastle via Durham had 3 through trains in 1938 taking about 1 hour. Even if the service was not a through train, changing at Durham, the journey time was still around 1 hour, so via Blackhill was the long way round.

John
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

JASd17 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:18 pm There appear to be 4 trains in the Summer 1938 public timetable.

But, both the morning trains have a half-hour plus layover at Blackhill.

The 2.4pm ex-Darlington, 2.32pm from Bishop Auckland, only has 11 minutes at Blackhill before heading to Newcastle at 3.38pm arriving in the city at 4.19pm. There was also a Saturdays Only evening train 6.55pm ex-Darlington, ten minutes at Blackhill d 8.38pm and into Newcastle at 9.19pm.

By comparison Bishop Auckland to Newcastle via Durham had 3 through trains in 1938 taking about 1 hour. Even if the service was not a through train, changing at Durham, the journey time was still around 1 hour, so via Blackhill was the long way round.

John
But of course Durham - Newcastle was on a high speed main line whereas Tow Law - Blackhill was a low speed single line. I did wonder whether the trains from Blackhill - Newcastle were actually a circular route from the Newcastle - Blackhill via Annfield Plain but it appears these trains went to Blackhill then reversed and went to Durham. Blackhill must have been a fascinating and busy station back in the day>

http://disused-stations.org.uk/b/blackhill/index.shtml
TwoBlues
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by TwoBlues »

Thank you very much folks for the info. Much appreciated.
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 4812 »

The relationship between the Public TT and train working can be interesting. How it was shown in the timetable I don't know, but in the mid-50s I travelled through from Barnard Castle to Newcastle, via Bishop Auckland, without a change. The train had started from Middleton-in-Teesdale and I expected to change at Durham, but somehow (perhaps chatting to the footplatemen) I learned that the train went through via Sunderland and with time to spare I just stayed put, although I did have to get on to the platform at Durham while it was backed into the bay. AFAIR the G5 worked through too.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I totally agree with the last replies, which is why I stated 'There appear'.

I have some 1930s WTTs, but they do not really help with train working either. I don't think they help the original poster either.

Carriage Working Books and Locomotive workings would assist, but it depends on the exact period, and these are somewhat rare beasts.

John
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

PinzaC55 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:01 pm I did wonder whether the trains from Blackhill - Newcastle were actually a circular route from the Newcastle - Blackhill via Annfield Plain but it appears these trains went to Blackhill then reversed and went to Durham.
Certainly, in 1948, passenger trains did run a circular route from Newcastle to Blackhill then back via Annfield Plain and South Pelaw. Here's a page from a timetable dated 27 September 1948:

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

johndon wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:40 pm Certainly, in 1948, passenger trains did run a circular route from Newcastle to Blackhill then back via Annfield Plain and South Pelaw. Here's a page from a timetable dated 27 September 1948:
Thank you. Most interesting.
Is there a timetable page showing services using the Durham/Bishop Auckland line?
(Which probably made my house much noisier than it is this evening!)
johndon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by johndon »

drmditch wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:23 pm Thank you. Most interesting.
Is there a timetable page showing services using the Durham/Bishop Auckland line?
(Which probably made my house much noisier than it is this evening!)
I'm afraid I don't know, my interest lies in the Tyne Dock to Consett line which is why I have that particular page.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

johndon wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:40 pm
PinzaC55 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:01 pm I did wonder whether the trains from Blackhill - Newcastle were actually a circular route from the Newcastle - Blackhill via Annfield Plain but it appears these trains went to Blackhill then reversed and went to Durham.
Certainly, in 1948, passenger trains did run a circular route from Newcastle to Blackhill then back via Annfield Plain and South Pelaw. Here's a page from a timetable dated 27 September 1948:

That would be because both the Durham - Blackhill and Tow Law - Blackhill lines were closed to passengers in 1939. I imagine the bay platform at Blackhill saw little use after that.