Potters Bar Signal Box (original)

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S&T
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Potters Bar Signal Box (original)

Post by S&T »

Hoping you might be able to help. I’m looking for information on the original Potters Bar station and signal box, prior to the widening to four lines south of the the station and before the introduction of the modern (at the time) signal box. In particular, I’m trying to find:
1. General track layout diagram
2. Signalling layout
3. Lever numbering, allocation and interlocking
4. Signal box internal pictures showing frame and block shelf

If you have any information, I would be most grateful.
Thanks
S&T
/\\\ /\\/
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Potters Bar Signal Box (original)

Post by PinzaC55 »

Your most likely source of info for the signalling diagrams would be the MT6 files in the Public Record Office at Kew.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

I don't really know much about the box myself either other than seeing two or three old photographs of the station before the rebuilding of the station took place that also features the box in the photographs as well. From memory, the box appears to have been situated on the Downside of the double-track line through Potters Bar station possibly just off the north end of the Down platform?. I believe the lever frame (the make unknown to me?) was in the front of the box and faced towards the Down line outside.

I presume the box originally worked the x4 track quadruple section just north of Potters Bar station with Hawkshead s/box and then on the closure of Hawkshead s/box further northwards with Marshmoor s/box at a later date. On the double-track section south of Potters Bar I presume the box originally worked with Mimms s/box (Mimms box may have been situated near the tunnel mouth?) and then on the closure of Mimms s/box with Ganwick s/box situated beside the Up line between the two tunnels and then on the closure of Ganwick s/box further southwards with Greenwood s/box where the double-track section started and ended but that is all speculation on my part?.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

The MoT Report upon the 10 February 1946 accident, to be found at https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docum ... rs1946.pdf may assist, as it includes a pretty good plan of the immediate accident area, with dimensions. There is also an incomplete diagram of the signals which (unsurprisingly) omits details not relevant to the accident.

Edited to add that there's also John Hinson's signal diagram showing the arrangement c.1950 at https://signalbox.org/~SBdiagram.php?id=%20685
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

While we're at Potters Bar as previously posted by myself (several times in the past) when I was a telegraph lad at WGC s/box I spent three separate Sundays spread over a couple of months during the summer of 1973 cleaning Potters Bar box to earn a few quid extra as Sunday overtime. Potters Bar box at the time of my visits was working TCB (Track Circuit Block) northwards with the former Hatfield No.2 box which had a temporary NX panel installed for about one year after the Hatfield No.1 box had closed at the end of May 1973 and southwards Potters Bar panel worked TCB with New Barnet North Box and it's renewed longer NX panel.

From a faded memory of 50 years ago, both the Hatfield No.2 and Potters Bar NX panels were decommissioned at the same time around April 1974 with both New Barnet (North Box) and Welwyn Garden City NX panel boxes working with each other for a couple of years into September 1976 before both boxes were decommissioned and it was all taken over by Kings Cross power box for the next 49 years.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

S&T wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:21 pm "Hoping you might be able to help. I’m looking for information on the original Potters Bar station and signal box, prior to the widening to four lines south of the the station and before the introduction of the modern (at the time) signal box. In particular, I’m trying to find:
1. General track layout diagram
2. Signalling layout
3. Lever numbering, allocation .... "

These two images any good to you S&T ?
Potters Bar old box Diag., Left-Hand 60% (Croppd + Resizd) (P1120703.JPG
Potters Bar old box Diag., Right-Hand 60% (Croppd + Resizd) (P1120704.JPG

Don't expect that those are any good for zooming in, so may be a need to somehow bypass the forum's image size limit.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
S&T
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by S&T »

John Palmer wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:52 pm The MoT Report upon the 10 February 1946 accident, to be found at https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docum ... rs1946.pdf may assist.

Edited to add that there's also John Hinson's signal diagram showing the arrangement c.1950 at https://signalbox.org/~SBdiagram.php?id=%20685
Many thanks John....both of these have proved very useful. Much appreciated
/\\\ /\\/
S&T
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by S&T »

StevieG wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:19 am These two images any good to you S&T ?
Potters Bar old box Diag., Left-Hand 60% (Croppd + Resizd) (P1120703.JPG
Potters Bar old box Diag., Right-Hand 60% (Croppd + Resizd) (P1120704.JPG
Thanks Steve....these are great. You are right about resolution though. Thank you very much for sending.
/\\\ /\\/