1939 Excursion to Llandudno from M&GN stations

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

christopher.bunting1
NER Y7 0-4-0T

1939 Excursion to Llandudno from M&GN stations

Post by christopher.bunting1 »

I have recently acquired a handbill dated May 1939 advertising a Day Excursion from a few M&GN stations to Llandudno. It has the M&GN title at the bottom of the bill. The date was Saturday 10th June. The M&GN stations mentioned are Sutton Bridge dep 4.45; Long Sutton; Gedney; Fleet and Holbeach. Arrival at Llandudno is shown as 10.30. return from Llandudno is stated as 12.0 midnight and arrival back on the M&GN the wee small hours of Sunday 11th. The Route shown at the bottom of the Bill in brackets (via Leicester, Nuneaton and Crewe).

It is the only Excursion I have ever seen from the M&GN to Wales. The questions it raises in my mind are:-
What happened at Spalding? This station is not mentioned on the Bill.
Was there a Llandudno Day excursion starting from there on that day or was it a pick-up point for an excursion starting somewhere else?
As an M&GN devotee the route I associate with travel from Spalding to Leicester is the route taken by the regular service from the M&GN via Bourne and Saxby. But suspect this was not used as I would have expected Spalding and Bourne to be quoted on the handbill.

I have posed the question on the M&GN Circle e-group forum but felt it needed wider expertise.

Thanks for any help
Chris Bunting
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 1939 Excursion to Llandudno from M&GN stations

Post by Hatfield Shed »

christopher.bunting1 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:04 pm ...It is the only Excursion I have ever seen from the M&GN to Wales. The questions it raises in my mind are:-
What happened at Spalding? This station is not mentioned on the Bill.
Was there a Llandudno Day excursion starting from there on that day or was it a pick-up point for an excursion starting somewhere else?
As an M&GN devotee the route I associate with travel from Spalding to Leicester is the route taken by the regular service from the M&GN via Bourne ...
As a 'know nothing' on this subject, could the explanation be as simple as the handbills were produced for sections of the line; so there might be other handbills for groups of stations East and West of this section? This would be a matter of the custom and practise of the M&GN.