North Eastern Railway 6 wheeled coaches

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dick Turpin
GNR J52 0-6-0T

North Eastern Railway 6 wheeled coaches

Post by Dick Turpin »

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, though have been keeping an eye on it for quite some time.

I have a question which is this: Does anyone know of any example of North Eastern Railway 6 wheeled coaches that lasted into the LNER period as long as the outbreak of WW2, maybe in departmental stock or as tool or riding vans etc. Thanks in advance.

James Raven.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

If you have access to North Eastern Railway Record Vol 2.
A look through the appendixs 4 + 5 may give you the info you need.
4 lists all carriage diagrams with how many wheels. But not if still surviving.
5 lists all NER stock in preservation, so by comparison you may have success.
Another possibility is the ukhrail site and a search of the carriages database. It also does wagons.

Hope this helps.
Dick Turpin
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Dick Turpin »

Thanks Bryan,

I checked North Eastern Record like you said, and it turns out there are two 6 wheeled brake thirds (dia 20) preserved on the Tanfield, so what I'm thinking of may well have been possible. I might contact the Tanfield to see if anyone there might know anything about the history of either of the pair.

The sort if info I'd like to turn up is evdence of any 6 wheeled stock still knocking around on the LNER in the late 1930s as part of a breakdown train or on PW use. Thanks again.

James Raven.