Alnwick-Coldstream Branch Line research

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

bazzer53
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Alnwick-Coldstream Branch Line research

Post by bazzer53 »

Hi everyone,

I've searched the various forum areas but cannot find an answer to this question. So, apologies if I am repeating this subject.

I am researching the Alnwick - Coldstream branch line during the 2nd World War. I have collected several books on the branch line and there is one subject I need help with. After the line was closed to passenger traffic in the 30s LNER started an express parcels service instead (as well as the goods service). The information I have currently refers to a 6-wheel brake van being used for the express parcels. However, that service also carried passengers destined for the LNER camping carriages situated along the branch line. So, the question is: Does anyone have photos or drawings of the 6-wheel brake van/brake carriage that was actually part of the express parcels service? Or photos of the actual express parcels service in action? I have images of a LNER 6-wheel brake van and 6-wheel brake carriage but no idea if these were the types used for this parcels service.

Any steers would be most welcome.

Thanks

Barry
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Alnwick-Coldstream Branch Line research

Post by PinzaC55 »

I seem to remember a very nice article on the Alnwick & Coldstream branch in one of the glossy railway magazines, possibly Backtrack ? It would be probably in the early 90s ?
The only other thing that occurs to me is in the Kew Public Record Office they have the LNER Minute Books but it would be a hell of a job to search them.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

I live only a couple of miles from Mindrum station and have been taking an interest in the line. I'm guessing this was before the line was severed for the first time, I know after it was severed for a second time the goods from Alnwick to Ilderton had to run with the loco on the rear running tender first as there was no run round at Ilderton.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Most of the photographs I have seen seem to show a Gresley Brake coach, sometimes on its own, or with a van and a goods brake.
After the line was severed at ilderton, the normal operating procedure seemed to be for the train to be hauled as far as Hedgely, where the loco would run round the stock, then it would be propelled to Ilderton.
This photo shows a typical train, some time shortly before closure, between Wooperton and Hedgely.
IMG_3814.jpeg
IMG_3814.jpeg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

That picture is in one of the books about the branch. Looking at the smoke I think it's propelling the stock back to Alnwick.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

I agree it is probably heading back towards Alnwick, but it could be travelling in either direction; if it was propelling the stock towards Ilderton, it would not be travelling at any speed, most likely no more than 15mph, so the wind could take the smoke in any direction.
The photo has been published in several books, and the captions differ as to direction.
I knew Ted Smith, who took the original picture, but never thought to ask him! He had hundreds of photos, but I have no idea where they ended up after he died.
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

Ted Smith's photos ended up with Neville Stead, and since his demise are with the Transport Library.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

That’s good to know; he also had a huge amount of memorabilia and quite a lot of that “left the house” about the time he died.
At least the photos are safe.