Armoured Trains

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Armoured Trains

Post by Mr Bunt »

Paul B wrote:I am also fascinated when travelling the line - and the number of small neat circular ponds alongside the tracks - made by Mr Goering and his landscape designers of the Luftwaffe!
In many cases these were created by crashing aircraft, many of which are still at the bottom of "the pond", rather than bombs. The RH&DR fooled the Luftwaffe comprehensively :D
Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Mr Bunt »

Here's another one of the RH&DR's armoured train. It's a rather grainy shot from a bit of newsreel footage; cine film needed a very fast "speed" and the faster the film the grainer the result. I don't think it's ever been published before because of its poor quality and the fact that it doesn't show all of the train.

It appears to show the train running wrong line on the Up down Fehr's Bank towards Dymchurch [if that doesn't sound too confusing!]. The precise location is impossible to trace today because of the barren landscape. Only The Roughs at Hythe, in the background, give any real clue.

One of the little "souvenirs" my eight years on the full time staff at "The Romney" provided me with :D
Attachments
Armour 2.jpg
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Fabulous pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Mr Bunt »

Malcolm wrote:Fabulous pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Malcolm
Glad you liked them. Here's a third one, which is probably the last because I can't recall having anymore in my collection, showing the armoured train on the Down line passing the former signal box at Dymchurch.
Attachments

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Mr Bunt »

Mr Bunt wrote:Here's another one of the RH&DR's armoured train. It's a rather grainy shot from a bit of newsreel footage; cine film needed a very fast "speed" and the faster the film the grainer the result. I don't think it's ever been published before because of its poor quality and the fact that it doesn't show all of the train.

It appears to show the train running wrong line on the Up down Fehr's Bank towards Dymchurch [if that doesn't sound too confusing!]. The precise location is impossible to trace today because of the barren landscape. Only The Roughs at Hythe, in the background, give any real clue.

One of the little "souvenirs" my eight years on the full time staff at "The Romney" provided me with :D
If anyone would like a slightly clearer bitmap version of this photo I've just found one. It's too big to post to the group though [726 Kb against the limit of 500 Kb]. If you'd like a copy contact me OG with your email address and I'll forward it to you.

The 72.09 Kb jpeg version I orginally posted has got a lot of pixelation problems, especially in the sky.
MrBird
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Armoured trains

Post by MrBird »

52D wrote:Just found bylines article its about Armoured train N based around North Lincs area if you are interested it gives typical armoured train detail and some good photos i can scan and send if you need it.
Id be interested in this info too if you still have it
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Armoured trains

Post by 52D »

MrBird wrote:
52D wrote:Just found bylines article its about Armoured train N based around North Lincs area if you are interested it gives typical armoured train detail and some good photos i can scan and send if you need it.
Id be interested in this info too if you still have it
Sorry im not in my house at the moment so i cant scan it to you.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.