'Northlight' Engine Sheds

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

peejay
NER Y7 0-4-0T

'Northlight' Engine Sheds

Post by peejay »

Is there anyone on here who throw some light (oops :oops: ) on the origin of the name given this GNR shed design? I know that an artists studio is preferable with a north light, and my office has a north facing window which is very good.

Would I be correct in assuming that only the roof elevations facing the entrance to the shed were glazed?

Were any of them orientated north/south? The shed at Bourne, for example, faced approximately SSW.

Finally can anyone point me at a source of a drawing with at least major dimensions shown?

TIA
peejay
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by peejay »

I know it is bad form to reply to ones own posts but...

Some further digging reveals that the LNWR and the L&Y also built this design of shed, and it would seem that orientation has absolutely nothing to do with the name. The 'Northlight' is simply the style of roof, and the shorter steeper elevation is the glazed one.
Andrew Craig-Bennett
LNER N2 0-6-2T

"Northlight" engine sheds

Post by Andrew Craig-Bennett »

The GER also had a fad for this type of engine shed. Numerous examples can be seen in the two excellent books on GER engine sheds.

I had not known that the GNR also went in for it - the LNER must have had lots of them

It is a particularly ugly design!