60th Annivesary of the ECML being cut by floods

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

60th Annivesary of the ECML being cut by floods

Post by 52D »

In 1948 the ECML was cut in several places by freak flooding. It is well documented about the non stops managing to run via the Waverley and St Boswells to regain the main line at Tweedmouth. What i would like to know are details about repairs carried out. Other regions of BR sent help in men and equipment does anyone have any details.
Tweedmouth yard must have been like Clapham Junction trying to keep a service going as well as effecting repairs. Did Tweedmouth get any locos on loan for the duration of the crisis. There is a well known shot of an A4 and a Shire/Hunt double heading a bridge test train.
Any other anecdotes would be thankfully received
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I don't know about Scotland but Selby was affected by the flooding after the snow melt.
This is documented on film by the York railway film unit and now available on Fastline films "Behind the scenes" I think its number 4 in the series.
It shows the affects and the repair work ongoing at Barlby curve.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Fastline

Post by 52D »

Funny thing coincidence i work for Morris Cranes and there is a feature on one of the fastline films about the LNER tracklaying machine built by Morris. I had a mate check the works number in our Archive files just in case there was anything of LNER interest but no drawings or photos were in the file.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.