a foggy day in Hitchin

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

a foggy day in Hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

Dunno where this one came from but I think it's very atmospheric, diesels in a steam setting - and the Up Yard is still gas lit! An odd formation that the EE4 is hauling, too - the leading vehicle looks like a LNER BZ to me?
Attachments
disel%20days%20076[1].jpg
(222.98 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Yes i have to say that is a fantastic shot taken from from the up yard. Most shots taken at Hitchin were taken from the 'public' side. I have part of the lever frame from Hitchin Yard box and a pair of those marvellous barrow crossing indicators from the north end of the platforms. I haven't got them working yet though. I think i have the glass fronted weatherproof cabinet from Welwyn to house them also. Once one of the five indicators moved you knew something was coming.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Yes, superb shot, very evocative. When I saw those down mains at off, I found myself peering into the mist with all the old anticipation of seeing a big 'un thundering down the bank from Wymondley.

Oh how I wish I'd taken more pics. back then. Thanks, hq1hitchin.