A4 double chimney - yea or nay?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

A4 double chimney - yea or nay?

Post by giner »

Purely out of curiosity do you think that, from an aesthetic standpoint, the double chimney improved the look of the A4?

For myself, I think the double chimney, especially from a low three-quarter front angle, looks slightly hideous, and even side-on it seems to look a bit oversized.
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

I agree, the double chimney didn't improve their appearance. However in trems of performance it did improve the steaming and consistency. This became important in later years when the quality of coal was variable.

I read an interesting comment from an ex-Top Shed fireman who worked on Pacifics both before and after double chimneys were fitted. He preferred the single chimney engines which he considered easier to fire and lighter on coal. Double chimney engines tended to be heavier on coal because many drivers preferred to work by the sound of the exhaust, which of course was much softer than from a single chimney and led the drivers to work these engines harder than was perhaps necessary.

Certainly the sound made by a single chimney Gresley Pacific working hard was inspiring and unforgettable. After the double chimneys were fitted though the sound didn't do much for me.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

I prefer the double. Only on the A4 though. Like many of the younger generation, the first A4 i ever saw (and I was 13 by then) was Mallard. So my mental image of what an A4 was and its proportions were shaped by that experience.

On the other pacifics i prefer the single even a Peppercorn A1 would look better, i think with the smaller chimney. Also the standard 4 4-6-0 looks a darn sight better in single rather than double form.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway