Sentinel Railcar at Hitchin

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

smudger
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Sentinel Railcar at Hitchin

Post by smudger »

Saw this interesting photo here:

http://gngen.fotopic.net/p43342466.html

Anyone know it's name? Can't make it out from the photo. Was this only a trial or did these often work out from Hitchin? And which line would they have worked?

Cheers,

Alan
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Only a rough guess based on the number of characters which seem to be visible in the photo and a comparison with http://www.lner.info/locos/Railcar/sentinel.shtml, I think it's possibly "Royal Charlotte" or "Royal Sovereign".
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Have just spoken to Mr Camfield and he says Trafalgar. I'm not totally convinced..
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Sentinel Railcar at Hitchin

Post by Bill Bedford »

smudger wrote:Saw this interesting photo here:

http://gngen.fotopic.net/p43342466.html

Anyone know it's name? Can't make it out from the photo. Was this only a trial or did these often work out from Hitchin? And which line would they have worked?
According to 10B Sentinels that were allocated to Hitchin were Waterloo, Rising Sun and Royal Forrester
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

To my imperfect eye, the photo definitely shows a name composed of two separate words - so Royal Forrester is perhaps the most likely candidate?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

I have checked the details against a photo I have, counted the letters and characters, and enhancement with Adobe has convinced me it is Royal Forrester.

Malcolm
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Think they worked the Hertford service, principally, with other little jobs to Biggleswade and Letchworth on a Saturday, that kind of thing. Only main line work they ever had was as a workmans train, literally, early on in WW2 when one of the last used to do a daily Hitchin - Connington service conveying p.way men building the new yard there. Great shame none of the Sentinels survived although I think there was an Egyptian one at Quainton Road recently, a 3 car, if I remember rightly. At Hitchin, they used always refer to 'Bang Up' when talking about steam railcars of any type although I think this was a Clayton?
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!